COVERED SLIP (S 180)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388431
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
COVERED SLIP (S 180), 1, SOUTH YARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388431.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 15:03:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
COVERED SLIP (S 180), 1, SOUTH YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SX4515953981

Details

SX 4554 SW PLYMOUTH SOUTH YARD, Devonport Dockyard

740-1/98/215 No.1 Covered Slip (5 180)

GV II*

Slip and slip cover. 1770s slip, cover 1814 designed by Sir Robert Seppings. Timber frame with metal sheet mansard roof, and limestone and granite slip. Apsidal aisled plan. Open E gable formed by one of the frames, the S side open below the roof, the N side butts against the Dockyard retaining wall (qv). The slip has raking sides and curved end with two steps, with the entrance opening into the river. INTERIOR: timber frame has composite stanchions to cantilevered principal rafters which extend out each side, with raking braces and braced horizontal collars, and 2 outer struts. HISTORY: covers for slips were introduced into Naval dockyards to protect wooden ships during construction, and "between 1814 and 1821 most of the dry docks and all the slips (at Devonport) had graceful timber framed housings added" (Coad). Two survive here and the largest one is at Chatham (qv). They were when built the widest span roofs in Britain, and the widest in the world except for riding schools in Germany and Russia. As such they prefigured the iron slip covers of the 1840s, and subsequent railway sheds. (Sources: The Newcommen Society: Sutherland RFM: Shipbuilding and the Long Span Roof: London: 1989: 7; Coad J: Historic Architecture of the Royal Navy: London: 1983: 71).



Listing NGR: SX4515953981

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476442
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of the Royal Navy, (1983), 71
Sutherland, R J M , Shipbuilding and the Long Span Roof, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].