COUNTY ASSEMBLY ROOMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388454
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
COUNTY ASSEMBLY ROOMS, 76, BAILGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTY ASSEMBLY ROOMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:53:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUNTY ASSEMBLY ROOMS, 76, BAILGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97671 71980

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE BAILGATE 1941-1/9/32 (East side) 08/10/53 No.76 County Assembly Rooms (Formerly Listed as: BAILGATE (East side) No.76 Masonic Temple)

GV II*

County Assembly Rooms, now in part a Masonic Temple. 1744, with front addition and vestibule 1908 by William Watkins of Lincoln. Brick and ashlar with stone dressings and hipped pantile and slate roofs. EXTERIOR: front, Baroque Revival style, has first floor band, string course, moulded dentilled pediment and eaves, rusticated quoins, parapet and ball finials. Central rusticated square porch with cornice. Doorway with enriched keystone and pair of wrought-iron gates, under a segmental pediment containing a wreathed roundel. On either side, a round-headed window in a moulded surround, with frieze and segmental pediment. Above, a central Venetian window with glazing bars. C18 hall has cogged eaves. INTERIOR: C18 ballroom has full height Ionic pilasters, modillion cornice and panelled plaster ceiling. In each bay, a window with entablature, and above it, a smaller window with a coved architrave. All the windows have glazing bars. West end has a central pedimented doorcase, and the east end 2 similar smaller doorcases, all with fielded panelled doors. South side has a central fireplace with entablature and pedimented overmantel, fronted by a life-size female figure. Opposite is a semicircular recess with a round arch and keystone. Adjoining service room to east has an elliptical arched plaster vault. Other C18 rooms have friezes, modillion cornices, C19 fireplaces and fielded panelled doors. 1908 addition has an elliptical vestibule with a saucer dome on pendentives. Scrolled datestone over east door. Hall has Ionic pilasters, enriched cross beamed ceiling and domed oval skylight with enriched borders. Doorcases have bracketed friezes. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 516; Curl JS: The Victorian Facade (W Watkins & Son, Architects, Lincoln): Lincoln: 1990-: 46).





Listing NGR: SK9767171980

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485885
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curl, J S , The Victorian Facade (W Watkins & Son, Architect, Lincoln), (1990), 46
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 516

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13361/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].