GREYFRIARS' MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1388472
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
GREYFRIARS' MUSEUM, BROADGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREYFRIARS' MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:28:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREYFRIARS' MUSEUM, BROADGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97759 71248

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771SE BROADGATE 1941-1/12/51 (West side) 08/10/53 Greyfriars' Museum

GV I

Remains of the infirmary of the Franciscan friary. c1230 and late C13, with mid C19 additions. Converted to a mechanics' institute 1883, and restored and converted to a museum 1905-1907 by William Watkins. Dressed stone and brick, with ashlar dressings, plain tile and slate roofs with a C19 brick side wall stack. EXTERIOR: chamfered eaves, coped gables, with cross to east. Undercroft plus upper storey. Main building, 9 bays, has 7 C19 buttresses and 8 C19 double chamfered barred windows. Above, nine 2-light windows with chamfered surrounds. To left, a lozenge-shaped datestone, 1833. East end has, above, a C13 3-light window with Y-tracery, and an oval window above it. West end has angle buttresses and a C20 Tudor arched 3-light window. North side has a C19 2 storey lean-to stair enclosure. Mid C19 addition to east, single storey, has a central door flanked by single windows, all pointed. INTERIOR: undercroft, 9 bays long by 2 bays wide, has octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals and bases, single chamfered ribs and small bosses. North side has 6 blocked windows to east and doorway to west. Upper floor has to north a C13 door and 3 round headed windows, all blocked, and a fireplace with shouldered lintel. North-east corner has a pointed recess. Restored common rafter roof with arch braces to east and scissor braces to west, both with double collars. This building is said to be the earliest surviving building in England of the Franciscan order. Scheduled monument, County No.25. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 508-509; York Archaeological Papers: Stocker DA: The remains of the Franciscan friary in Lincoln (etc): York: 1984-; Hewett C: English Cathedral and Monastic Carpentry: 1985-).



Listing NGR: SK9775971248

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485917
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C, English Cathedral and Monastic Carpentry, (1985)
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 508-509
Stocker, D A , 'York Archaeological Papers' in The Remains of the Franciscan Friary in Lincoln (etc), (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12457/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].