GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND OLD PRISON AND CHAPEL AND EXERCISE YARD AND ENCLOSING WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388489
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND OLD PRISON AND CHAPEL AND EXERCISE YARD AND ENCLOSING WALL, CASTLE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND OLD PRISON AND CHAPEL AND EXERCISE YARD AND ENCLOSING WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:43:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND OLD PRISON AND CHAPEL AND EXERCISE YARD AND ENCLOSING WALL, CASTLE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97504 71837

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NW CASTLE HILL 1941-1/8/63 Governor's house, Old prison, 08/10/53 Chapel, Exercise yard and enclosing wall

GV II*

Governor's house, old prison, chapel, exercise yard and enclosing wall. Now the City Magistrates' Courts and Lincolnshire Archives Office. Governor's House, 1787, by John Carr and William Lumby. Old prison 1847 by Nicholson & Goddard. Brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roofs. EXTERIOR: Governor's house has plinth, blind arcaded ground floor, first floor sill band, quoins, eaves cornice and parapet. 5 side wall and 5 ridge stacks. 3 storeys, with a 7 bay centre flanked by 2 bay wings. All the central openings have rusticated surrounds. Most of the second floor windows are barred. Central part-glazed door with multiple keystones, flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes and beyond, single beaded panelled doors with overlights. Above, 7 glazing bar sashes. Above again, 7 smaller sashes. The wings have similar fenestration. Ends have regular fenestration with several blanks. Old prison, 3 storeys, 15 bays, has coped gables and 2 large ridge stacks. Chamfered segment headed barred windows. South side has a central canted bay window with parapet, 3 storeys, with 8 iron framed glazing bar windows on each floor. On either side, 7 windows on each floor. Flanking the bay window on either side, a stone coped brick wall with 2 segment headed doorways. There are traces of similar walls which formerly divided the exercise yard into sectors. At the west end, a full-height canted bay window with stone mullions and iron glazing bars. In it, a central segment headed door. North side has a canted 2 storey off-centre bay window, and regular fenestration with some blocked openings. The single storey chapel links the Governor's house to the old prison. Semicircular ashlar enclosing wall has a chamfered stone coping and 5 segment headed doorways. INTERIOR: cantilevered stone dogleg stairs with iron balusters, beaded panelled doors with glazing bar overlights. Many of the doors have peepholes. The chapel has very unusual tiers of linked individual cells for the prisoners. The Governor's house formerly served as a debtors' prison. The buildings show important changes in the detail and philosophy of prison design.



(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 506).



Listing NGR: SK9750471837

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485934
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 506

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12789/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].