Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE BISHOP'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:44:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97800 71953



SK9771NE EASTGATE 1941-1/9/97 (North side) 08/10/53 No.13 The Bishop's House


Formerly known as: No.13 Atherstone House EASTGATE. House, formerly part of a larger complex including No.12 Eastgate and No.18 James Street, (qv). Now the Bishop's House. Late C13, altered early C16, early and late C18, early and mid C19. Central bay and interior altered 1927-28. Timber framing and brick, with stucco south and east front and plain tile roof. Single gable stacks, 2 valley and single side wall stacks. L-plan. EXTERIOR: plinth, projecting quoins, moulded eaves bands, coped gables and parapet. 2 storeys plus attics, 8 unequal bays. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes. East front has to left a late C18 2 storey canted bay window with 3 French windows, and to its right, a similar window. Above, in the bay, a sham window flanked by single sashes. To left, a sham sash. To right, 2 sashes. Beyond, to right, a double gabled addition, C19, with a shallow Classical porch to left and a tall corniced triple sash to right. Above, 2 sashes. Triple gabled south front has a recessed centre, 1928, with a single storey range between the wings, containing 2 sashes. Above and behind this, 2 sashes, and above them, a single smaller sash. Left gable has 3 sashes on each floor, and a smaller sash to the attics. Lower right gable has a C19 French window and above it, a sash with a plaque over it. INTERIOR has central entrance hall with an open string staircase to a landing and gallery. Vase and stem balusters, square newels, moulded handrail. Late C19 wooden fireplace with panelled overmantel. To right, former billiard room, now study, has dentilled frieze and panelled ceiling, and an early C19 enriched Classical marble fireplace. Drawing room, to left, c1927, has 2 pairs of wooden Doric columns carrying spine beams with terminal pilasters. Moulded cornice and coved central bay to ceiling. Adjoining dining room has early C20 panelling, and adjacent sitting room has moulded cornice and enriched wooden Classical fireplace, late C18. First floor west bedroom has late C18 panelling with fluted Doric pilasters, concealing C16 panelling. Dentilled cornice

and late C18 slate fireplace, with flattened pilasters and oval cartouche. East bedroom has C18 moulded cornice and spine beams. Second floor has early C19 service stair with stick balusters. Rooms have moulded cornices. Left gable has exposed principal rafters with double purlins and tie beam. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 514; The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Jones S: Lincoln: 1990-: 105-118).

Listing NGR: SK9780071953


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Jones, S, The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln, (1990), 105-118
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 514


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15245/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].