ROMANESQUE DOOR ARCH IN THE FORMER LINCOLN ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388602
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
ROMANESQUE DOOR ARCH IN THE FORMER LINCOLN ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMANESQUE DOOR ARCH IN THE FORMER LINCOLN ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:12:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMANESQUE DOOR ARCH IN THE FORMER LINCOLN ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97286 70446

Details

LINCOLN

SK97SE HIGH STREET 1941-1/2/146 (West side) 24/09/86 Romanesque door arch in the former Lincoln Arms Public House (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (West side) The Lincoln Arms)

GV II*

Romanesque door arch, c1150, salvaged during demolition, 1783, and resited 1907. Situated in a first floor rear room. Limestone rubble. Outer arch has a complex double chevron moulding enhanced by an early form of dogtooth moulding. Inner arch has keeled roll moulding flanked by quirks and hollows. The arch was removed from St Andrew's Hall, a Norman house which stood on this site till its demolition in 1783. The special interest of the arch derives from its place in a C12 domestic building. Most surviving examples of domestic architecture of this period are to be found in Lincolnshire. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 525-526).





Listing NGR: SK9728670446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486047
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 525-526

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16929/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].