Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ST MARY'S GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:19:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97312 70454



SK97SE HIGH STREET 1941-1/2/179 (East side) 08/10/53 St Mary's Guildhall


Formerly known as: John o'Gaunt's Stables HIGH STREET. Major domestic building, possibly the town house of Henry II, c1157, incorporating in its foundations part of the C3 Foss Way. Used as a guildhall 1251-1547, remodelled early C17 as a school and used in part as maltings, C15 to 1981. South range 1895. Excavated 1981-1986 and restored 1984-86. Now the offices of the Lincoln Civic Trust and a church hall. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and pantile roofs. Single storey and 2 storeys. C-plan. EXTERIOR: west range, 5 bays, has shallow buttresses, chamfered plinth and band with bird and beast masks to the northern part. Near-central moulded carriageway arch with segmental pointed inner arch, flanked by single buttresses. Above it, 2 reset masks. To left, a single light, and to right, a C20 casement. Above, to left, a bracketed square louvred opening and to right, two C20 casements. South gable has C20 fenestration, and above, 2 reset corbels. North range south side has to left a single storey range, 3 bays, with a doorway flanked to right by 2 unglazed windows with wooden mullions. To the right, a 2 storey building, 2 bays, known as the Norman House, with a shallow central buttress and a moulded first floor band. To left, a wide mid C20 door and an unglazed window, formerly mullioned. To the right, a shouldered doorway and a small window. Above, 2 double round headed windows, that to the right without its central shaft. To the left, a small pointed light. South range, 5 bays, fronting Sibthorp Street, incorporates several reset C12 fragments. INTERIOR has in the north-west corner of the west range a fireplace with joggled lintel, flanked by a blocked window and a doorway. North-east corner has a restored doorway and a C12 stone spiral stair overlaid by a late C20 stair. North wall has a window opening. First floor hall has on the west side a fireplace, flanked to the left by 2 windows and to right by a single window, all with keeled shafts. North gable has a blocked double arched opening with central round pier. Restored C17 single purlin roof. North range interior has several reset C12 fragments, and east end has a C17 scissor braced double purlin roof.

HISTORY: St Mary's Guildhall may well be " the only survivor from the small group of the king's town houses which existed in several major towns....St Mary's Guildhall is a domestic complex on a palatial scale, indicating the highest social status, and as such is representative of a little known urban building type. " ( Stocker) It was used from 1251 to 1547 as the headquarters of the Great Guild of St Mary, Lincoln's most important guild, and began to be used as a maltings during this time. It was remodelled early in the C17 for the Bluecoat School, and was subsequently adapted for industrial uses, mainly malting. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No.46. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 504-505; The Archaeology of Lincoln: Stocker D et al: St Mary's Guildhall, Lincoln: Lincoln: 1991-: 91-92).

Listing NGR: SK9731270454


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 504-505
Stocker, D A , St Mary's Guildhall, Lincoln: the survey and excavation of a medieval building complex, (1991), 91-92


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12640/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].