DELORAINE COURT EAST AND DELORAINE COURT WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388609
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
DELORAINE COURT EAST AND DELORAINE COURT WEST, 4, 5 AND 6, JAMES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DELORAINE COURT EAST AND DELORAINE COURT WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:08:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
DELORAINE COURT EAST AND DELORAINE COURT WEST, 4, 5 AND 6, JAMES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97724 71949

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE JAMES STREET 1941-1/9/184 (West side) 08/10/53 Nos.4, 5 AND 6 Deloraine Court East (No.5) and Deloraine Court West (No.6) (Formerly Listed as: JAMES STREET (West side) Nos.4 AND 5 Deloraine Court)

GV II*

House, now 3 houses. c1300, incorporating a C12 undercroft. Remodelled early C17 and c1660, with C18 additions and early C19 alterations. Dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and plain tile and pantile roofs with various stacks. EXTERIOR: south range, C18, 2 storeys plus basement and attics, 5 bays, has plinth and single ridge and 2 gable brick stacks. East front has to left a wooden doorcase with pediment and hanging lamp, and a 6-panel door with 2 glazed panels. To its right, four 12-pane sashes, and above, 5 similar smaller sashes, the right one with an iron balcony. Above again, 2 segment headed dormers. Basement has a large central sliding sash, flanked to left by a plain sash and to right by a plain doorcase with a 6-panel door. Former great hall, 2 storeys, 4 bays, has brick rear wall and ridge stacks, and a first floor band. In the centre, two large 15-pane sashes, flanked to left by a fielded 6-panel door in a plain surround. Above, two through-eaves dormers with coped gables, each with a 16-pane sash. The left dormer has 2 reset heads. Beyond, on either side, a single bay projection with coped gable, 2 storeys, that to left with a 12-pane sash, that to right with a half-glazed panelled door and a 16-pane sash above it. East wing has a rebuilt brick side wall stack and coped south gable. East side has an off-centre doorway flanked to right by a 3-light casement, and to left by a larger 3-light casement with glazing bars. Beyond, a smaller glazing bar sash. Above the door, a 3-light casement with wooden mullions and leaded glazing. To its left, 2 segment headed 12-pane sashes. Gables have irregular fenestration. INTERIOR has in the west wing an undercroft with three C12 piers with scallop capitals, and a first floor panelled room dated 1602, with a C12 chimney and late C15 arched fireplace.



C15 queen post truss roof with wind braces. In the south-west range, a C14 sculptured reredos. Former great hall, ceiled in c1663, has a collared rafter roof c1300, and at the west end, remains of a balustraded gallery, early C17. On the ground floor, an apsidal ended dining room c1800. East wing, reroofed c1660, has on the ground floor a kitchen fireplace c1400, and on the first floor, a room with rearranged panelling and overmantel, early C17. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 512-513; The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Jones S: Lincoln: 1990-: 67-85).



Listing NGR: SK9772471949

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486054
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, S, The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln, (1990), 67-85
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 512-513

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].