THE SUBDEANERY AND EAST MIDLANDS TOURIST BOARD OFFICES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388668
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
THE SUBDEANERY AND EAST MIDLANDS TOURIST BOARD OFFICES, 18 AND 18A, MINSTER YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SUBDEANERY AND EAST MIDLANDS TOURIST BOARD OFFICES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 08:01:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SUBDEANERY AND EAST MIDLANDS TOURIST BOARD OFFICES, 18 AND 18A, MINSTER YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97678 71782

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE MINSTER YARD 1941-1/9/252 (South West side) 08/10/53 Nos.18 AND 18A The Subdeanery (No.18) and East Midlands Tourist Board offices (No.18A)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Precentory MINSTER YARD. Precentory, now subdeanery and offices. C13 and C14, with C17 additions. Remodelled and extended 1827. Refronted 1873 by J L Pearson. A Roman hypocaust and mosaic pavement were found on the site in the C18, and remain in situ. Dressed stone and brick, with stucco east front, ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs, with 4 gable and single ridge and side wall stacks. EXTERIOR: sill band, 2 string courses, eaves band, coped parapet and gables to north and east fronts. 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays. L-plan. North front has steps in the return angle to the right, with a moulded four-centred arched doorway with hoodmould, sidelights and overlight. Above it, a 4-light stone mullioned cross casement. To the left, a square bay window, 2 storeys, with a similar 4-light window on each floor. East front has a wooden doorcase with cornice and recessed 6-panel door, flanked to right by a glazing bar sash. Above, 3 glazing bar sashes. To the left, a square stair tower with parapet, with single light windows on the lower floors and a cross casement above. South side has two fronts, 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays, with glazing bar casements. INTERIOR No.18A has partly panelled entrance hall, late C17, with wooden fireplace and overmantel and moulded beams. First floor room with similar fielded panelling. In the basement a section of Roman tessellated pavement approx. 1 x 1.5m, and a medieval cistern. Towards the rear, a Roman hypocaust reached by a stone winder stair in a stone lined round arched stairwell. At the foot of the stairs, a segment arched recess opposite a round arched brick firehole. The hypocaust, approx. 10m x 5m, has square brick columns carrying a terracotta floor. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 488; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln: 1987-: 84-90; Report and overall assessment of listable quality: Hewlings R: Secular properties..... in Lincoln Minster Close: London: 1987-).



Listing NGR: SK9767871782

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486129
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewlings, R, Secular properties in Lincoln Minster Close, (1987)
Jones, , Major, , Varley, , The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln (2nd fascicule), (1987), 84-90
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 488

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/12459/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].