EDWARD KING HOUSE AND DIOCESAN OFFICES AND ATTACHED CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388681
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
EDWARD KING HOUSE AND DIOCESAN OFFICES AND ATTACHED CHAPEL, MINSTER YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EDWARD KING HOUSE AND DIOCESAN OFFICES AND ATTACHED CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:13:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
EDWARD KING HOUSE AND DIOCESAN OFFICES AND ATTACHED CHAPEL, MINSTER YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97752 71695

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE MINSTER YARD 1941-1/9/245 (South side (off)) 08/10/53 Edward King House, Diocesan Offices and attached Chapel

GV II*

Formerly known as: The remains of the Bishop's Palace MINSTER YARD. Diocesan retreat and conference centre, and diocesan offices. 1727, remodelled in Gothic Revival style 1866 by Ewan Christian. Chapel 1898, by Bodley & Garner, in Decorated style, above the service rooms of the adjoining Bishop's Palace. Mid C20 addition to south. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and gabled and mansard slate roofs. 4 gable, 3 ridge and 3 side wall stacks, one of them external. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, moulded cornice, first and second floor bands, coved eaves, crenellated parapet to south-east. 3 storeys plus attics, 7 bays. L-plan. Entrance front has to left a projecting porch with parapet and stepped gable, and moulded four-centred arched door with crest above. To its right, a gabled wing, 3 storeys, and to right again, a tower, 4 stages, with taller south-western octagonal turret and crenellated parapet. All have windows with mullions and transoms. South front has two sections, 4 bays, that to the left set back, each with a canted bay window with parapet. Left range has a central buttress, cross casements, and a mansard roof. Right range has a corner buttress, external stack and crenellated parapet. Both have 4 dormers. Chapel has a low-pitched leaded roof with crenellated parapet, coved eaves, and pointed arched windows with hoodmoulds. South side has a central vestry with parapet, side wall stack, and two 2-light windows. West end has an entrance corridor, 2 bays, with parapet and to right, an octagonal turret. Above, a C13 single lancet and a central C19 2-light window. East end has a C13 lancet with shafts, and above, a C19 3-light window. INTERIOR of main range has fielded panelled stairwell with early C18 cantilever dogleg stair, 3 flights, with decorated string and turned balusters. Oval panelled plaster ceiling. On the first floor, a restored panelled room with dentilled cornice, full-height Ionic fireplace surround, and pedimented doorcase altered to form a bookcase. Interior of chapel has 2 transverse double chamfered arches



and painted ceiling. West end has a central blocked window flanked by a doorway to left and a canted porch to right. North side has 3 chamfered openings separated by buttresses with figures in niches. South side has a corresponding doorway to the vestry. Each side has to west a C13 pointed arched blocked opening with shafts. East end has C19 stained glass south and east windows and panelled reredos. North side has 2 ogee aumbries. Fittings include at the west end, a full width crested screen with inscription. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 485).



Listing NGR: SK9775271695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486142
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 485

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/11962/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].