SK9771SW ST BENEDICT'S SQUARE
1941-1/11/317 Church of St Benedict
Former Church, now the offices of the Lincoln Diocesan
Mothers' Union. C13 and early C14. Nave and north aisle
demolished, and west tower built from old materials, mid C17.
Restored and converted to secular use, 1931. Coursed rubble,
dressed stone and brick, with ashlar dressings and plain tile
roof. West tower, nave and north aisle.
EXTERIOR: square west tower, 2 stages, has renewed rendered
plinth, quoins, single string course, eaves band with remains
of gargoyles, plain parapet and corner piers. To south, a C17
studded door with wooden lintel. Above it, a mask corbel. To
west, 2 small square windows. Second stage has on each side a
double round headed opening with reused central mullion. South
side, 4 bays, has a central buttress, incomplete sill and
impost bands, and mask corbel table. To the left, a small
Decorated 2-light window. Above and to the right, three
3-light pointed arched windows, all C14, restored. To right
again, a C13 lancet with hoodmould. East end has flanking
buttresses and a round headed blocked door. Above it, a
5-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould. At the west
end, a blocked four-centred arch and a 3-light pointed arched
North aisle, 3 bays, has brick parapet and 3 buttresses. At
the west end, the remains of a demolished gable. North side
has to west a Perpendicular style window, 3 lights, with
hoodmould and stops. West end has a Decorated style 3-light
window with ogee headed lights. East end has a similar window
with four-centred arched head, hoodmould and mask stops.
INTERIOR has, below the tower, a C17 cleft ladder. North
arcade, C13, 2 bays, has an octagonal pier with 2 remaining
round shafts, and half-octagonal responds, all with stiff leaf
capitals. Double roll moulded arches on nave side, with
hoodmoulds. To east, a doorway, C17, with a studded door.
South side and east end have incomplete sill bands. South side
has to east a C13 double piscina, and to west a cusped ogee
headed tomb recess with mask and beast finials. At the west
end, a moulded blocked arch. Much altered double purlin common
North aisle has blocked double chamfered arch at west end with
a fielded panelled door and inscription, 1952. East end has a
moulded plinth and sill band to south, and a door to north,
with above it a blocked C13 lancet with hoodmould. Low pitched
double purlin roof with arch braces, wall shafts and mask
FITTINGS include a C17 octagonal panelled oak pulpit, altered
C19, on a reused panelled octagonal stone base. Late C18
eggcup font with swags and square stem. Royal arms, 1734,
repainted 1819, with the churchwardens' names.
MEMORIALS include a brass with weepers, 1687, scrolled
cartouche with arms and cherubs, 1739. Tablet, 1853, to
William Nicholson, RIBA. Several C18 and C19 tablets.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 496).
Listing NGR: SK9748071117