THE LAWN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388819
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
THE LAWN, UNION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LAWN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388819 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:33:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE LAWN, UNION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97283 71873

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NW UNION ROAD 1941-1/8/385 (West side) 02/10/69 The Lawn

GV II*

Mental hospital, now a museum, meetings and entertainment centre. Built 1820. By Richard Ingleman of Southwell, with late C19 additions. Extensive restoration and conversion 1989-90, with additions including conference hall to central quadrangle. Yellow and red brick, with stucco front and gabled and hipped slate roofs. Classical Revival style. EXTERIOR: eaves cornice, coped parapet, pedimented gables, various stacks. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes. Main block with flanking wings, rear wings flanking central quadrangle, rear range including former theatre. 2 and 3 storeys, 19 x 15 bays. Main block, 3 storeys, 5 bays, has a giant Ionic portico with pediment. Central doorway with moulded Egyptian architrave, flanked by 2 sashes. Above, 5 sashes on each floor, those to the second floor being smaller. Flanking wings, 2 storeys, 5 bays, have regular fenestration on each floor. Projecting terminal blocks, 2 storeys, have 2 windows on each floor. Rear has regular fenestration and 2 semicircular projecting bays. Rear wings, 2 storeys, 10 bays, flanking the central quadrangle, have hipped 2 storey central projections and end pavilions. Former theatre, now Lawrence Hall, forming the north side of the quadrangle, 2 storeys, 5 bays, has a central gabled dormer on each side, and 5 gablet ventilators. Round arched cross casement in north gable. INTERIOR: main block has central stairwell with reeded cornices and a panelled elliptical arch on each floor. Stone cantilever open well staircase with wrought-iron balustrade. Neustadt room has reeded fireplace and basket grate. On each floor, ranges of single-patient cells, many of them remodelled. Lawrence Hall, formerly the theatre, has an arch braced roof with panelled ceiling, and an elliptical proscenium arch flanked by pedimented doorcases. At the rear, a wooden fire surround with cornice and overmantel. HISTORY: the Lawn is important in the treatment of the mentally ill because Edward Parker Charlesworth and Robert Gardner Hill here pioneered the treatment of patients without physical restraint, between c1831 and 1838. This principle was adopted at the influential Hanwell Asylum from 1839. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:



London: 1989-: 511; Kelsall F: Report on listable quality of the building; Harwood E: Dissertation on mental hospitals).







Listing NGR: SK9728371873

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486280
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 511

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12765/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].