CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1388920
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 18:33:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 32456 42683

Details

BOSTON

TF34SW LONDON ROAD 716-1/2/86 (West side) CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

II

Parish Church. 1911 by Temple Moore and some internal works of 1939. Porch of 1956. Red brick, cement render, ashlar dressings, plain tile roof. PLAN: nave and aisles, all 3 separately roofed, south porch, south meeting room. EXTERIOR: west end of 3 gables, the nave having a tall 3-light window with cross mullions and hood. To either side the gables have high level 3-light windows with sill band and hood. In the apex is a vent. On the north gable a bellcote on a buttress with pent canopy with wooden shingle cladding. The north aisle has a plinth and 3 stepped buttresses. Windows of 2, 3, and 4 lights, with flat heads and hoods, with plain pairs of vents beneath. At the east end of the aisle is a 2-light pointed window with flowing tracery. The chancel on the north side has a 5-light window. At low level is the foundation stone, recording the building of the chancel in 1911. The east window is pointed of 3-lights with reticulated tracery. The east end of the south aisle has a 3-light flat-headed window at low level, and a 2-light pointed window above. On the south side the vestry with meeting room above has two 3-light windows, one above the other, and the projecting gabled bay which contains the staircase has at high level 2-light window with cusped heads. The south side of the nave has a recessed doorway with a lean-to roof forming a porch with an adjacent brick stack. The tympanum is half-timbered and the porch opening has an ogee timber head and a carving of St Christopher and child in a small brattished gabled canopy. The south side has 3 windows of 2, 3, and 4 lights as the north. The porch is in brick, gabled, with battered side buttresses. It contains in a niche over the door a stone carved figure of St Thomas kneeling to the risen Christ, 1956 by Philip Pape. INTERIOR: 3-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers and double chamfered pointed arches. A shield to a saint on each pier. Steeply pointed plain arch at west end to form western bay. Barrel vaulted planked roof, painted with panels at eastern ends. Simple Arts and Crafts fittings including contemporary solid oak pews, choir stalls, reader's desk, chancel screen with carved lights and moulded canopy, north chapel screen, communion rail with quatrefoils and pulpit dated 1912. Rood with painted tympanum dated 1939. Small C19 font from original church and carved octagonal C19 font from the redundant parish church of Wispington. HISTORY: the earlier iron church was built in 1885 and demolished in 1911.



Listing NGR: TF3245642683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486381
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16546/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].