CENTENARY METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED CHURCH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388976
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Nov-1999
Statutory Address:
CENTENARY METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED CHURCH HALL, RED LION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTENARY METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED CHURCH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:56:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CENTENARY METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED CHURCH HALL, RED LION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 32772 44382

Details

BOSTON

TF3244SE RED LION STREET 716-1/7/147 (East side) 14/02/75 Centenary Methodist Church and attached church hall (Formerly Listed as: RED LION STREET (East side) Centenary Methodist Church)

II*

Methodist church with ancillary rooms and hall. 1839 by Stephen Lewin, refronted and altered 1910 by Gordon and Gurton following a fire in 1909. Portland stone ashlar, Gault brick with ashlar and stucco dressings, red brick, slate roofs with stone coped gables. EXTERIOR: front elevation of 1910 in ashlar, arranged with tall square towers at each end linked by a convex 2-storey front. The towers each have a plinth, moulded string course and 3 plain stone bands to the ground floor stage. The deeply moulded and dentilled cornices are surmounted by Ionic lanterns with semicircular arches to each side flanked by pairs of columns on the angles, and topped by drawn-up Wrenian domes with ball finial. At the base of each tower is a deeply recessed central doorway in moulded stone surround, with large semicircular stone hood on brackets, with carved roundel in tympanum. Above to each side a pair of tall slot windows, and to the upper stage a single window with stone architrave and keystone, with apron below and pedimented dripmould above. The convex central section has to the ground floor 4 pairs of attached Doric columns supporting a plain frieze and cornice, and above a dentilled cornice and plain parapet with the stone gable of the pitched roof visible behind. The ground floor has a central narrow window flanked by pairs of columns, a recessed door with overlight, and further narrow window between 2 columns. These openings have moulded shouldered surrounds with narrow keystones and cornices, the doorways also with semicircular pediments with carved tympana. The 1st floor has a thin colonnade with 7 glazed openings between, with continuous moulded sill and head. The Gault brick returns of 5 bays divided by brick pilasters with stucco cornices date from the church of 1839, but with 1910 fenestration. Rendered plinth, moulded cornice, plain frieze, overhanging eaves. The tall windows have moulded stucco architraves with segmental heads to the ground floor, and shouldered heads to 1st floor. To the rear are 2 gabled link blocks, each with a pair of panelled doors, under a flat canopy on scrolled brackets, and semicircular-headed window in moulded surround over and projecting single-storey wings with leaded casements. Attached to the link blocks are late C19 2-storey red brick parallel ranges containing committee rooms, library, offices, school hall and stage. INTERIOR: the church arrangement and fittings date from 1910. The pews are set out with 2 aisles to form a broad curve at the front and are all matching with boarded backs. A full gallery to sides and rear of the church is curved at the rear, with panelled front, and is supported on slender Doric columns. From the gallery floor Ionic columns support an elliptical vaulted ceiling with dentilled and garlanded fruit cornices, stained glass rooflights and decorative ceiling roundels. A deeply moulded fibrous plaster arch spans the choir and organ space with elaborate garlanded frieze and winged escutcheon at centre. The central elevated pulpit with semicircular panelled front has steps up from each side with turned balusters. In front is a semicircular alter rail. Behind at a higher level is a 3 manual organ by Cousans of Lincoln with carved details. Font, lectern communion table and chairs are contemporary. Panel doors and match-boarded dado panelling. Leaded light windows with stained glass panels in restrained Art Nouveau style. The church can seat 1200 and is known locally as the Methodist Cathedral. The Church has been included in the list since 1975 and the church hall is now also specifically added.





Listing NGR: TF3277244382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486437
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04156/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].