1, ARCHERY LANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389282
Date first listed:
05-Sep-2000
Statutory Address:
1, ARCHERY LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389282.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-May-2021 at 19:41:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
1, ARCHERY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 47886 29342

Details



SU 4729 SE ARCHERY LANE 869/5/10013 Peninsula Barracks 05-SEP-00 (North side) 1

II



Guard house; later post office, now house. 1901-5. Red brick with terracotta dressings, central brick cross-ridge stack and slate roof. Georgian Revival style. Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: one-and-a-half storeys; 6-window range. A regular front with rusticated brick quoins, frieze, and coped end gables with a terracotta string and oculus; a verandah on iron posts extends along the front. Ground-floor segmental-arched 6/6 pane sashes, above the verandah are small segmental-arched openings with keys rising into the frieze, the 2 to the left more widely-spaced with 8 panes, 3 to the right with 15 panes. A left-hand single-storey section with hipped roof, these being the former cells with inserted garage door; sash window and barred cell window to left-hand side elevation. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: an unusually ambitious example of a guard house, to the Southgate Street entrance to the barracks. Lower Barracks was occupied from the mid nineteenth century as a hospital and prison attached to the Upper barracks, and largely rebuilt 1901-5. It forms a complete functional assemblage of late Victorian/Edwardian barrack buildings, and contributes to the considerable overall significance of the Peninsula Barracks site.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].