CULLERCOATS RADIO STATION BROWNS POINT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389373
Date first listed:
17-Aug-2001
Statutory Address:
CULLERCOATS RADIO STATION BROWNS POINT, NORMA CRESCENT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389373.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:18:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CULLERCOATS RADIO STATION BROWNS POINT, NORMA CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 36516 71616, NZ 36553 71620

Details



1022/0/10030 NORMA CRESCENT 17-AUG-01 Cullercoats (East of) Cullercoats Radio Station, Brown's Point

GV II



Wireless telegraphy station. 1906, by the De Forest Company for Marconi. Extended c1930 with a wireless station building for HM Coastguard. 1906 building of colourwashed brick with Welsh slate roof and cusped bargeboards. Rectangular plan. Segmental arches over two horned 6/6-pane sashes to S elevation and one to N elevation, to left of later C20 door. Entry in W gable wall.

Wireless station of c1930 immediately to W. Rendered brick walls and Westmorland slate roofs with stack to rear left. Planned as two end blocks, each with a hipped almost pyramidal roof, flanking a central spine wing. Single storey. W elevation has two 8/14-pane sashes in each end block, with transomed casement windows in the returns facing the central spine, which has main entrance set in hipped porch. Similar fenestration to other elevations; glazing-bar overlight over double doors in N elevation, projecting later C20 porch to S.

HISTORY: This is an exceptionally early and well-preserved example, grouping with a later and carefully-handled radio station, of a building associated with the initial development of radio telegraphy. It dates from 1906, thus marking the first phase of wireless telegraphy's major contribution towards the twentieth century's scientific-technical revolution. The early building survives in very close proximity to a larger station dating from c1930, that in its handling and sensitive use of materials - including Westmorland slate roofs - typifies the careful approach towards the architectural treatment of government-owned utility buildings of the inter-war period at its best.

Listing NGR: NZ3651671615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488031
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].