EQUITABLE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389382
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2001
Statutory Address:
EQUITABLE HOUSE, GENERAL GORDON PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389382.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 22:11:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
EQUITABLE HOUSE, GENERAL GORDON PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Greenwich (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 43708 78851

Details



TQ 4378 GENERAL GORDON PLACE 786/20/10140 Woolwich 07-AUG-01 Equitable House

II



Building Society Headquarters, 1935. (Lionel U.) Grace and (W. G.) Farmer, architects. Thomas & Edge, Ltd, contractors. Portland stone walls, Westmoreland slate tile roof. Three-storey-plus-attic range of 11 bays with central entrance and prominent two corner site.

PLAN: Rectangular range with main and corner entrance to General Gordon Place. Main entrance to central banking hall. Offices to side wings at each floor with later internal partitions or open plan. Panelled offices above entrance at first floor; panelled Board Room above entrance at second floor.

FACADE: 3 storeys of Portland Stone with mansard roof of Westmoreland slate tile. Central projecting portal in Baroque Deco style with pairs of columns framing openings. Five bays of windows to each side. Rusticated plinth at ground floor. Keystones at ground floor windows. Double brass panelled doors to main and side entrances with 'EQUITABLE HOUSE' in serif capitals over. First and second floors plain stone with recessed metal-framed multi-pane windows. Streamline wings motif at facade- with human face to main entrance and owl face to side entrance. Projecting cornice above second floor with parapet. Secondary corner entrance with broken segmental-arch pediment at ground floor. Double-height window in curved corner portal with clock and parapet.

INTERIOR: Entrance and Banking Hall of Hopton Wood stone walls, coursed and polished Derbyshire fossil skirting. Double-height entrance hall with semi-circular windows at first floor to outside and offices above. Niche at both sides, each with historical panels framed in Derbyshire fossil, and deco-style brass vent. Steps up to double-height Banking Hall defined by square piers with blank wall and windows above. Dentil moulding and shallow classical detail to piers, walls and entablature. Tray ceiling with large glass panel with brass Greek-key and deco ornament. First Floor offices panelled in wood with deco detail. Second floor Board Room in panelled oak carved in floral motif to top and at doors. Three staircases. Vaults and storage in basement with separate staff entrance.

HISTORY: Woolwich Equitable Building Society founded in 1847 and this was their headquarters after moving from Powis Street also in Woolwich. The left-hand side of the building was leased to National Westminster bank and remains under separate tenancy at time of inspection (April 2001). It is a handsome and monumental building of solid neo-classicism that inspired customers' confidence and also expressed modernity with elegant Deco detailing throughout.

SOURCES: Berry Ritchie, We're With the Woolwich 1847-1997: The Story of the Woolwich Building Society. James & James, 1997.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488040
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ritchie, B, We're with the Woolwich 1847-1997: The Story of the Woolwich Building Society, (1997)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].