Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389411.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2021 at 20:20:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27420 82923


1900/0/10285 OUTER CIRCLE 03-SEP-01 Winfield House


Winfield House, Outer Circle, Regent's Park.

Detached house, now Ambassador's residence, in extensive grounds. 1936 by L. Rome Guthrie of Wimperis, Simpson and Guthrie for Barbara Hutton. Red brick, Portland stone dressings, slate mansard roof. EXTERIOR: Thirteen bay entrance front with projecting three-bay ends flanking additional single storey entrance extension with central door flanked by Doric columns carrying a segment-topped parapet, containing a relief of the seal of the USA. Continuous heavy stone cornice on all sides, angle quoins to all corners. French windows with mullions and transoms to ground floor of each front; 6/9 pane sash windows to first floor elevations, 6/6 pane dormer windows to attic storey. Thirteen bay garden front with central pedimented portico of four giant Corinthian pilasters, stone-fronted centrepiece with arcade to ground floor, relief of cartouche with festoons in tympanum. East elevation of five bays with single storey extension with attic, trellis decoration to garden side, large brick chimneystack, channelled angle quoins surmounted with urns to parapet. INTERIOR: reception rooms to ground floor, living quarters above. Service range to east. Features include: entrance hall with neo-Adam plasterwork. Reception hall entered via screen of paired fluted Doric columns; pilasters with Doric entablatures, pedimented doorcases to walls. Green or Garden Room hung with Chinese wallpaper (originally from Townley Castle, Co. Louth, with Rococo carved chimneypiece. Second Drawing Room with 18th century French boiseries and marble chimneypiece; Family Dining Room with English 18th Century-style panelling. State Dining Room with fine 18th century French Rococo overdoor reliefs alongside later plasterwork. Staircase (altered 1969) with balustrade of wrought iron with lyre decoration and plaster ceiling, top landing with screen of columns. First floor rooms include bedroom (originally Barbara Hutton's own, now called the Hutton Room) with painted Etruscan decoration and a French marble chimney-piece with columns; several panelled bedrooms; intact marble-lined bathrooms from Barbara Hutton's day. Neo-georgian wrought iron stairs with scrolled decoration and brass hand-rail to attic floor, on which numerous 1930s features (but not a mural) survive from the former nursery suite. HISTORY: this house was built for the Woolworth's heiress Barbara Hutton. After war service as an officers' club it was sold for a dollar to the United States government for use as the ambassador's residence. After extensive alterations the house was first officially used by Winthrop Aldrich, Ambassador to the Court of St James in 1953-57. The interiors have undergone extensive alterations at several points, including 1969 (William Haynes, decorator). Listed as an exceptional ambassador's residence and as a notable Neo-georgian town house containing numerous features of note.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].