ARDING AND HOBBS STORE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389528
Date first listed:
30-Nov-2001
Statutory Address:
ARDING AND HOBBS STORE, LAVENDER HILL
Statutory Address:
ARDING AND HOBBS STORE, ST JOHNS ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389528.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 03:40:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARDING AND HOBBS STORE, LAVENDER HILL
Statutory Address:
ARDING AND HOBBS STORE, ST JOHNS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2740575426

Details



1207/0/10124 LAVENDER HILL 30-NOV-01 Arding and Hobbs Store ST JOHN'S ROAD Arding and Hobbs Store

II



Department store. Built in 1910 by James Gibson in Edwardian Baroque style. Some late C20 alterations including shopfronts and internal alterations. Structure steel framed with reinforced floors for fire protection but exterior clad in red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and centrepieces with Wrennaissance treatment. EXTERIOR: Four storeys with nine windows to Lavender Hill front, twenty to St John's Hill front and three to the corner under the principal feature of the building,a large octagonal stone tower with florid dome to top and base with carved ovals with crown and four open pediments supported on composite columns. Below the corner cupola the second and third floors are of stone with large blank panels to parapet, moulded cornice and architraves and second floor windows having in addition blank tablets above with swags. The remainder of the nmain fronts have a panelled parapet with piers at regular intervals. Third floor windows are in moulded architraves flanked by panels with the initials A and H and swags. Second floor windows have curved open pediments, console brackets and blank panels. Lavender Hill front has central large curved pediment on pilasters through second and third floors with round-headed niches with putto, keystone, swags and blank panels. Second floor window has open pediment, console brackets and carving. The St John's Hill front has two of these centrepieces, the southernmost one with an early C20 gabled extension above. The entire first floor has a continuous wooden display window with round-headed fanlights, brackets and pilasters and stone fascia above with name of shop. Ground floor shopfronts have been replaced with 1970s aluminium shopfront and canopy. The southernmost four bays of the rear elevation to Ilminster Gardens has similar treatment to the main elevations. The remainder of this elevation is set back. The central 12 bays has pilasters, plain triple wooden casements and right side ground floor windows with leaded lights and some heraldic shields which would have been part of the sales floor. Left hand side has three shutter fronts doors and canopy. Northernmost part has three round-headed windows to second floor and mullioned and transomed metal casements below. Stone rear entrance with panel with fasces and shield with the initials A and H. INTERIOR: Originally the ground and first floors would have been the main sales floors with with workrooms above, dispatch at basement and third floor levels and restaurant, called the Ardington Rooms, on the third floor. Secondary staircases with cast iron railings and some original doors, particularly on the ground floor. First floor has original plaster moulding and some cast iron columns with plumed capitals. The second floor has structural cast iron columns. The third floor has a stained glass dome, coved cornice and high relief plaster with fruit motifs and an adjoining room with segmental arched ceiling with square panels and painted over lightwell with stained glass which originally housed the restaurant. There are also plaster mouldings and plainer columns on the third floor. HISTORY: The firm of Arding and Hobbs started as a drapery shop in Wandsworth High Street in 1867 but moved to the present site because of its greater commercial importance. The original buildings on the site of 1881-1885 were destroyed in a fire of 1909. The present buildings were the largest and grandest department store built south of the Thames.At the time of inspection early photographs of both buildings on the site were on display on the third floor.

[Buildings of England. London 2: South. P678.]

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488213
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 678

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].