Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:31:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 08416 91424


768/0/10070 BOURNE ROAD 11-DEC-01 The Town Hall


Hotel, converted to town hall. 1881-5; by Alfred Bedborough; converted to Town Hall in 1921; Council Chamber added circa 1930; extended circa 1990. Buff-coloured brick with Bath stone dressings. Slate roofs. PLAN: Original hotel L-shaped on plan with curved angle; converted to Town Hall in 1921 and Council Chamber wing built on left [SW] end in about 1930; extended at rear left [NE] in about 1990. French/Italianate and neo-Classical styles. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, basement and attic. Long 3:4:2:3:3:7:3 bay south front, the right end faces east with curved corner; end bays advanced with pavilion roofs; projecting entrance bay to left of centre rises to small tower with turrets and pavilion roof with iron cresting and with small pediment at eaves; bracketed eaves with festoons between the brackets of the advanced bays; rusticated ashlar piano nobile and cast-iron balcony above on large console brackets; moulded stone window architraves and red terracotta friezes, second floor with cornice above; pedimented dormers above eaves cornice, 4-bay projection on left has 2-storey canted bay window and 3-bay right-hand projection has oriel with balcony balustrade; main entrance off centre has segmentally arched carriageway blocked by later Baroque portico with broken segmental pediment with oculus. Projecting Council Chamber wing on left, 2-storey rusticated ashlar base with broad pilasters and sash windows with rusticated flat arches, and a brick piano nobile with a stone entablature, tall arched panels to the sides with an oculus at the head of each panel and a bowed south front with a rusticated portico with a balcony above and a giant Ionic order of attached paired columns to the piano nobile above with an oculus between each pair of columns. Rear elevation of main range similarly treated as that of front. INTERIOR: Entrance hall [originally carriageway of hotel] has coffered vaulted ceiling, internal porch with swivel doors and ornate kiosk desk. Main open-well staircase has cast-iron balustrade and arcades to the landings with pairs of ornately decorated glazed Doulton columns, the attic columns made of plaster to simulate ceramic columns below. Plainer secondary staircase. Two of the hotel lounges, now mayor's parlour and members' room, have moulded plaster ceilings and chimneypieces. Shallow flight of stairs to Council Chamber with large stone newel piers and iron balustrade, large circular landing with fluted Ionic pilasters, shallow coffered dome with lantern and mosaic floor, panelled vestibule and intact Council Chamber with shallow domed ceiling, panelled sides with public galleries above, complete horse-shoe shaped seating and apsidal dias with fluted wooden Ionic columns and pilasters. SOURCE: Buildings of England [Hampshire], p.127. The Town Hall, originally the Mont Dore Hotel and the grandest Victorian hotel in Bournemouth, was converted into the Town Hall in 1921 and has a fine Council Chamber of about 1930.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].