CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390503
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, VAUGHAN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:23:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, VAUGHAN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 75611 99452

Details



1481/0/10009 VAUGHAN STREET 09-MAY-03 Winton Church of St Mary Magdalene

II

Also Known As: Church of St Mary Magdalene, WESTBOURNE ROAD, Winton Church. 1913-14. By RT Beckett. On land given by the 3rd Earl of Ellesmere. Red sandstone snecked ashlar with stone coped slate roofs. Perpendicular style with buttresses, some with set-offs. Central crossing plan with chancel, north vestry and transept, south Lady Chapel and transept, central crossing tower and nave with aisles. Later C20 west entrance narthex. East end has 5-light window and chancel north side has narrow window to north over the single-storey vestry which has 3- and 4-light windows and segmental arched doorway. 3-light window to transept over. North aisle has a higher separately gabled element adjacent to the transept with 2-light windows and then the lower element with flat-arched 3-light windows. 3-light windows to the clerestory over. The south chapel has a 3-light window to east and 2 small 2-light windows to south with a large 4-light window to the transept. South aisle and nave clerestory has similar fenestration to the north. The unfinished central tower has small single- and 2-light windows. The west end, similarly unfinished, is of brick and blank to the upper part. Projecting from this is a late C20 entrance and narthex with a lean-to roof. INTERIOR. The chancel has aumbry and double sedilia. Panelling to east wall which has an elaborately carved reredos framing a Crucifixion. Carved altar front, communion rails and choir stalls. Good stained glass. HISTORY. The Earl of Ellesmere, who paid for the chancel and transepts, died on 13/7/1914 whilst the church was under construction. The outbreak of the 1st World War interrupted building work and the end of the nave and tower were never completed. A carefully designed church, the central crossing tower adding to the views through and across the spaces, with fine fittings to the chancel.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490403
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].