CHURCH OF SS PETER, PAUL AND ST PHILOMENA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390763
Date first listed:
22-Dec-2003
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SS PETER, PAUL AND ST PHILOMENA, ATHERTON STREET, WALLASEY, CH45 9LT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SS PETER, PAUL AND ST PHILOMENA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390763.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 12:06:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SS PETER, PAUL AND ST PHILOMENA, ATHERTON STREET, WALLASEY, CH45 9LT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 30546 93654

Details



This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/04/2016

1916/0/10031

ATHERTON STREET Church of Ss Peter, Paul and St Philomena

(Formerly listed as CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL) 22-DEC-03

II Catholic Church. 1935. By E. Bower Norris of Sandy and Norris, architects of Stafford and London. Reinforced concrete shell with mixed red brick facings and ashlar limestone dressings. Copper sheet covering to dome. Classical Renaissance style.

PLAN: Basilican plan, with porch to main entrance, side porches, nave, centre and side aisles, transepts , crossing below dome and sanctuary.

EXTERIOR: Single storeyed canted porch to main entrance, built against tall gabled end of nave with deep ashlar copings incorporating moulded cornice. Gable apex with keyed occulus . Entrances to side porches within setback corner towers with domed cupolas. Tall, barrel vaulted nave of 3 bays, each bay with a tall lancet in its upper walling. Lower side aisles extend on both sides, with a semi-circular headed lancet to each bay. North and south transepts are stepped, the taller rear gable truncated, the lower front bay with a gablet. Crossing with faceted base to tall central dome, the supporting brick-faced drum with paired pilasters breaking through a moulded circular cornice. Above the cornice, a shallow parapet pierced by oval occuli. Above, faceted hemispherical dome with cross finial. Sanctuary with advanced centre and set-back corners to gable wall. Single lancets to each side wall.

INTERIOR: Gallery and organ loft above inner doorway to west end. Centre aisle with flanking arcades of tall semi-circular arches beneath concrete barrel vault. Side aisles with transverse arches link side porches with transept chapels. Sanctuary with high altar with classical marble reredos, composed of columns and pilasters supporting semi circular arched head.. Transept chapels each with altar and marble reredos, and each with paired marble columns supporting pedimented heads. Stations of the Cross designed in art deco style by George Thomas, sculptor, of Liverpool.

A prominently-sited and little-altered Catholic church of 1935, designed by E Bower Norris. Monumental in scale, and with high quality interior detailing, the church with its hemispherical dome is a landmark on both land and sea, and is cited as a navigational reference point on the marine chart for the Liverpool Bay.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491374
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].