SWING BRIDGE OVER RIVER TYNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1390930
Date first listed:
30-Jul-2004
Statutory Address:
SWING BRIDGE OVER RIVER TYNE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWING BRIDGE OVER RIVER TYNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390930.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 19:06:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
SWING BRIDGE OVER RIVER TYNE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ2522263714

Details



1833/0/10234 Swing Bridge, River Tyne 30-JUL-04

II* Swing road and pedestrian bridge, spanning the River Tyne. 1868-76, built on site of the Roman and Medieval bridges. W.G. Armstrong & Co of Newcastle upon Tyne for, and under supervision of, the Tyne Improvement Commission. Steam pumps replaced by electric in 1959. Granite abutments and piers on foundations of cast iron cylinders filled with concrete; timber control cabin and central pontoon. Wrought iron girder superstructure. Six spans, two over the land approach, two fixed spans over the water and the two spans of the rotatable central portion. North and south land abutments each of two piers arched together to provide an opening for the passage of land traffic. Surmounted by four pillars extending above the roadway topped with freestone and granite copings and groins. Coats of Arms of Gateshead, Newcastle and Port of Tyne Authority carved in relief on outsides of pillars. North and south piers with cutwaters and a recess of arctuate shape at their top forming a ledge on which the end of the bridge centre portion rests. Central pier with cutwaters supports swinging section of bridge surrounded by a timber jetty extending to the east and west to incorporate central pier of High Level Bridge. Two five sided stone projections either end of central pier house machinery for opening the bridge including original boilers, electric motors and pumps, accumulators and hydraulic engines and gearing all in duplicate. Bridge deck carries a roadway 7.3m wide with footways 2.4m wide either side. Ornate lamp standards and closeable gates either end of fixed sections. Maintenance platform suspended below deck on rollers. Swinging section of bridge approximately 86m long revolves on a roller bearing central pivot. Two large girders form two segmental arches filled with latticework. Central arched linking bridge; octagonal timber cupola with ogee roof and circular domed lantern on top. Swing span carries two iron staircases to cupola. The bridge is operated by machinery activated by high-pressure water from a hydraulic accumulator. Originally operated by hydraulic motors, now electrically powered; the mechanism, housed on the central pier is complete and operable. Swing bridge opened in 1876, a necessary development to allow for up river navigation by sea going vessels, particularly to Lord Armstrong's expanding Elswick Works. This development gave considerable benefit to the rapidly developing industry in that area. Hindmarsh R. F, 1930 Some of the Tyne Bridges, 6-9. Manders F and Potts R 2001, Crossing the Tyne 48-56.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491346
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hindmarsh, R F, Some of the Tyne Bridges, (1930), 6-9
Manders, F, Potts, R, Crossing the Tyne, (2001), 48-56

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].