CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391095
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, MANCHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:28:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, MANCHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 75471 04670

Details



1664/0/10024 MANCHESTER ROAD 09-MAY-03 Kearsley Moor Church of St Stephen

II

Church. 1870-1. By JM and H Taylor. Coursed snecked rubble stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone-coped gables with finials. Decorated style with buttresses and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Chancel with north vestry, nave with wide north aisle and north porch and west tower. East end has 3-light window with 2 lancets to south of chancel. To north the massive stack of the vestry which has hipped roof and single- and 2-light windows and doorway to north. The wide gabled north aisle has patterning to roof slates, 2- and 3-light windows and north porch with roof of alternating bands of plain and fishscale slates. 3-light window to west end. Nave south side has 2- and 3-light windows. West tower on end of nave is of 4 stages and has west door with 2-light window over lancets to sides, clock faces on stage above and louvred bell-openings to top stage which has gargoyles and battlemented parapet. INTERIOR. Fittings include, in chancel, carved wood reredos, stalls and low screen, scissor brace roof, the sanctuary marked by 2 trusses with cusping. Harrison organ. Windows have stained glass. Nave has carved stone pulpit, openwork pews and carved lectern. Hammer beam roof rising from stone corbels. North arcade has quatrefoil piers with moulded or elaborately carved foliage capitals. Scissor brace collar truss roof on arch braces rising from stone corbels. Carved font on colonnettes with carved font cover. Stained glass in north aisle west window. Stained glass in nave and aisle easternmost windows otherwise windows have patterns of flowers in coloured glass and leading. Openwork pews similar to nave. A carefully considered picturesque exterior with many contemporary fittings remaining inside.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
492867
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].