THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391201
Date first listed:
19-Oct-2004
Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BLACKFRIARS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391201 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 02:10:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BLACKFRIARS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 62260 19972

Details

KINGS LYNN

610-1/0/10007 BLACKFRIARS ROAD 19-OCT-04 The Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II Church. 1844-6. By Anthony Salvin for David Gurney of North Runcton Hall. Tooled ashlar with stone dressings and with slate roofs in alternating bands of fishscale and plain slates. Stone-coped gables with finials. Buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Plan of chancel with vestries and nave with aisles and north porch and also north aisle and west doors. Early English style. Chancel has triple lancets to east and further lancets to the vestries to north and south. Aisles also have lancets and there are small circular trefoil windows to the 5-bay nave clerestory above. The west end has two lancets within a 5-arched otherwise blind arcade supported on shafts. Angle buttresses rise into square spirelets, the top stages with open shafted lancets. From these buttressess there project westwards pairs of flying buttresses linked to massive free-standing buttresses added in 1889-90 to strengthen the west wall. INTERIOR. Chancel has stained glass of 1846 by W. Wailes and elaborate stone reredos of 1896 below. Further stained glass window in south wall of 1877, possibly by Hardman. Choir stalls of 1946 with poppy head finials to the ends and blind-arcaded fronts. Scissor-brace roof with lower curved braces supported on carved head corbels. Elaborate stone and marble pulpit of 1882 with double blind arcades. Pair of stone reading desks with marble shafts. Brass eagle lectern. Nave has arcades with double-chamfered arches supported on circular piers. Elaborate scissor-brace nave roof similar to chancel and again supported on carved head corbels. Original open nave benches were the first free seating in King's Lynn. In 1980 the western two bays of the nave were partitioned of at the lower level to form separate spaces but upper part of the nave remains open and the west windows are visible. Octagonal stone font has elaborate octagonal open shrine cover with crocketted gablets and pyramidal roof. This fine church by a well-known early Victorian architect was built with the intention that it be a poor man's church. It retains good furnishings including unusual nave benches and it also forms part of a significant group of historic buildings including St. John's Terrace (q.v.) opposite. Source. Pevsner, Nicolaus, and Wilson, Bill, Buildings of England: Norfolk 2: North-West and South, p. 472.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491871
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].