WINNINGTON TURN BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391406
Date first listed:
31-Oct-2005
Statutory Address:
WINNINGTON TURN BRIDGE, WINNINGTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINNINGTON TURN BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 04:44:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
WINNINGTON TURN BRIDGE, WINNINGTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barnton
District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Northwich
National Grid Reference:
SJ6416174966

Details



1635/0/10018 31-OCT-05

NORTHWICH WINNINGTON LANE

Winnington Turn Bridge

II Swing bridge and control cabin on Weaver Navigation, 1908/9 with C20 additions, cast steel. Two storey brick control cabin with ground floor and lower ground floor, slate roof.

Cast steel bridge painted black and white with girders underneath, one pivot span and single lane vehicle access. Pivot sits on south (Northwich) bank. Later C20 pedestrian walkway fixed to western bridge elevation and north cabin elevation. Reverse 'l' shaped plan brick control cabin sits west of bridge on south bank. Assymetrical saltbox-style slate roof, ridge tiles, and spear finial atop north gable. Small pane casement windows form continuous band to north elevation continuing around north east and north west corners. Small round arched window with brick voussoirs beneath eaves line on west elevation. South elevation has small round arched window flanked by 2 doorways all with brick voussoirs at heads. Small brick courtyard adjacent to south elevation. East doorway with stone steps, west doorway with one stone step and one later C20 concrete replacement. Steps lead down by west elevation to pivot machinery and canal, all but top 3 later C20 replacement.

HISTORY: Constructed in 1908/9 the electrically operated swing bridge replaces an earlier version constructed in 1901, which proved inadequate both in terms of carrying capacity and design. Along with the neighbouring Town Bridge (1899) and Hayhurst Bridge (1899) in Northwich, Winnington is one of the earliest swing bridges in Britain to have electric power. The bridge enabled greater carrying capacity of road loads and an increase in the navigable waterway available thus enabling trade expansion and business growth in the area's chemical industry. The swing bridge also controlled the water level at Northwich.

SOURCES: Hadfield C & Biddle G. 'The Canals of North West England Volume 1'. 1970 Hadfield C & Biddle G. 'The Canals of North West England Volume 2'. 1970 David Owens Waterway Archive - 'Winnington Swing Bridge'

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE Winnington Turn Bridge is a single pivot span steel bridge with associated brick control cabin on the Weaver Navigation. The bridge has special architectural interest as an example of an early electrically operated swing bridge. In addition, it is historically significant in the development of the Weaver Navigation and the growth of the pottery and chemical industries of Winnington and Northwich. The bridge and cabin can also be said to form part of a group with Town Bridge and Hayhurst Bridge further along the navigation in Northwich.

SJ 64161 74966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
494160
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, Biddle, G, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of North West England, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].