3, 4, 5, CLIFTON ROAD, 16, CLIFTON HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391458
Date first listed:
20-Dec-2005
Statutory Address:
16, CLIFTON HILL
Statutory Address:
3, 4, 5, CLIFTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391458.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-May-2021 at 18:42:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
16, CLIFTON HILL
Statutory Address:
3, 4, 5, CLIFTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 47502 29583

Details



869/0/10106 CLIFTON HILL 20-DEC-05 16 CLIFTON ROAD 3, 4, 5

II Two linked pairs of large semi-detached villas. Probably built in the early 1840s. No 16 was extended on the S side in 1909. MATERIALS: The massive principal walls are built of rammed chalk with a painted render finish, incised to imitate ashlar masonry. Slate roofs; brick chimney stacks; tile hanging to 1909 extension.

PLAN: 5 storeys consisting of raised basement, 2 principal floors, and 2 attic floors within the steep pitched roofs. Principal façades of 2 bays; the pairs of houses are linked by a set-back 2-storey 2-bay block which contains the entrances to No 3 and 4 Clifton Road; the entrance to No 5 and No 16 Clifton Hill are in set back 2-storey wings. The internal plan is mirrored between each pair, and comprises a central stair compartment leading to large rooms at the front and rear.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical gabled front elevations of 2 bays, with 2 windows to the lower attic storey and one to the higher. Square bay windows to basement and ground floors with moulded cornices and crenellated parapets. Square drip moulds to upper floor windows. Timber sash windows, those to ground and first floor with tripartite lights with 4-over-4 panes to central sash and 2-over-2 to margin lights; those above have 3-over-3 panes. Fenestration pattern similar on rear elevations but without bays or drip moulds; 6 over 6 sashes to ground and first floors. Round-headed windows and doors to entrance bays; timber panelled doors with plain fanlights. Steep pitched roofs with pierced bargeboards to gable eaves. Edwardian extension to No 16 is of 2 storeys above basement and has square bay windows with timber casements and glazing bars to upper lights.

INTERIOR: Internally the buildings retain their plan form, much Victorian joinery, and a number of original and later fittings. They have elegant stairs with square balusters and mahogany handrails; that to No 16 replaced after fire damage.

HISTORY: The houses are thought to have been built shortly after the arrival of the London and South Western Railway in 1839-40. They may have been built with chalk spoil from the nearby railway cutting.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special architectural interest as well-preserved early-Victorian villas in a striking picturesque style, and for their construction. The use of rammed chalk on such a large scale is unusual; these are possibly the tallest examples of the use of this constructional technique in the country. They occupy a prominent hillside overlooking the city and are striking landmarks.

SOURCES: Conservation of Clay and Chalk Buildings, Gordon T Pearson, 1994, pp 22-25; Terra Britannica, ICOMOS UK/English Heritage, 2000, pp 29-33; Report on 3, 4 and 5 Clifton Road and 16 Clifton Hill, Forum Heritage Services, 2004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
493104
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, G T , Conservation of Clay and Chalk Buildings, (1994), 22-25

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].