Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391535.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 14:04:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41906 66639


SJ416666NE TARVIN ROAD 1932-1/0/10010 BOUGHTON 17-MAR-06 (North side) Control Room, Boughton Water Pumping S tation


Also Known As: Diesel engine house, Boughton Water Pumping Station, SPITAL WALK, BOUGHTON Former diesel engine house, now control room. 1913, with later alterations. Built for the Chester Waterworks Company. Pale yellow brick with sandstone ashlar plinth and darker brick and ashlar dressings, and slate roof. Italianate style. PLAN: Rectangular building, sited immediately to the south of the water tower with which it was functionally associated. EXTERIOR: Single storey; 4-window gable and 5-window side ranges. Banded ashlar plinth, brick cill and impost band, moulded eaves cornice, and coped pediment gables, round-arched arcades separated by pilaster strips. Doorways in the centre of the side with a round-arched fanlight above, and in the east gable with a moulded surround, and round-arched windows have glazing bars, with a round pane at the top; square ridge lantern has scrolled corner buttresses and a domed top. The east gable pediment contains a dated cartouche, the west gable incorporates a louvred oculus. INTERIOR: The interior walls are finished in glazed tiling. The building retains 2 diesel engines for emergency power generation and electrical pumps, alongside added electrical control equipment. The roof is supported on tensioned metal trusses carrying 5 tiers of purlins. HISTORY: The former diesel engine house and the associated water tower with attached engine house and boiler house forms the most prominent component of the former Tower Works, a river abstraction and water treatment works built for the Chester Waterworks Company in 1851-3. The complex was originally powered by a Cornish beam engine manufactured at Adam Woodward's Queens Foundry, Manchester. The site incorporated 3 sand filters and a brick-vaulted reservoir. The water tower was heightened from 70 to 84 feet in 1884 by jacking up the tank. In 1913, the diesel engine house was added to the complex. Other additions included a Davey horizontal steam engine, site offices and laboratory. Forms a group with the water tower, boiler house and attached railings.(q.v.)

The former diesel engine house is of special historic and architectural interest as a key component of the former Chester Waterworks Company's Tower Works, developed in 1853 and subsequently altered and enlarged. Tower Works was innovative, ambitious and architecturally-distinguished design by a notable water supply engineer, and is well-preserved. The diesel engine house, added in 1913, sits alongside the 1853 water tower, engine and boiler house, with significant remnants of an early beam engine house and engine housing surviving alongside two C20 deisel engines and associated pumps. Ensembles such as this were at the heart of the newly-developed water supply systems of the C19, systems which significantly improved public health and enhanced the lives of millions by providing reliable supplies of clean drinking water.



The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].