This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1391649



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Apr-2006

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 493131

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


249/0/10261 KING'S ROAD 28-APR-06 459 World's End Distillery Public House


Public house built in 1897, originally called 'The World's End'. Architect unknown. MATERIALS: Red brick in Flemish Bond; rubbed and moulded and brick detailing; stone dressings and banding; slate roof with lead sheet to turret; granite facings to ground floor. PLAN: 3 storeys, basement and attic. Ground floor public house; first-floor function room; residential accommodation above. EXTERIOR: Style: Free Flemish Revival with Norman Shaw and Ernest George influence. Ground floor pub front projects on SW elevation; polished grey granite; granite pilasters and angle pier with Ionic capitals, bearing modern fascia. Three entrances with wrought-iron screens above (original central entrances to each elevation now modified as windows). Entrances to either side of the SW elevation set within lobbies with curved windows. External joinery mainly original. Some original etched and cut window glass, mainly in the doors and upper lights of the windows; some larger panes have been replicated, the remainder plain glass. Upper floors richly modelled with extensive stone banding continued along window piers. Cornice continues around both elevations; section to NW and turret with carved relief decoration. Bays articulated by chamfered brick pilasters; some surmounted by beasts bearing shields. Elaborate Flemish gables with decorative moulded brick panels to top stage. Timber sash windows with glazing bars to upper sections. NW elevation: three window range surmounted by gable with scrolled broken-apex pediment. First and second floors have central tripartite mullioned window flanked by single windows: those to first floor have flat arches with carved relief decoration; those to second floor windows have depressed gauged-brick arches with keystones, central window with triple keystones and richly decorated tympanum with grotesque mask. Two windows to gable with plain tympana and triple keystones. Blind bay with chimney stack carrying aedicule with moulded brick swag, grotesque mask and scrolled pediment, bearing cartouche with pub name. Corner expressed by bold octagonal turret; rubbed brick colonnettes to angles; triple-light bay windows to each floor. Octagonal lead roof sumounted by timber cupola. SW elevation: two window range surmounted by gable with segmental broken-apex pediment. Elliptical bay windows to first floor with parapets continued upwards to form balconettes to windows above with carved relief decoration. Second-floor tripartite mullioned windows with tympana matching that to NW elevation. Two windows to gable. INTERIOR: Pub interior altered. Ground floor open-plan with central bar. Some original features, including cast iron-columns and decorative finishes. Late C19 chimneypieces. Original staircase. First-floor function room with timber chimneypiece. Rooms above first floor not inspected. HISTORY The World's End was a horse-bus terminus. It was rebuilt in 1897 to replace an earlier pub on the same site. It occupied a corner site at the convergence of King's Road and World's End Passage. The adjacent terraces were demolished in the C20. SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 3: North West; Mark Girouard, Victorian Pubs' 1975 EVALUATION OF IMPORTANCE: A fine example of a public house in the gin-palace genre dating from the 1895-9 boom in pub building. Of high townscape importance.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M, Victorian Pubs, (1975)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: London 3 North West, (1991)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26490 77468


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 12:42:14.

End of official listing