TEMPLE OF MITHRAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391846
Date first listed:
25-Jan-2007
Statutory Address:
TEMPLE OF MITHRAS, QUEEN VICTORIA STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391846.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 07:24:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
TEMPLE OF MITHRAS, QUEEN VICTORIA STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32521 81032

Details



627/0/10249 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET 25-JAN-07 Temple of Mithras

II Roman Temple dedicated to the worship of Mithras. Constructed circa AD 240-250. Probably dedicated to Bacchus from the early 4th century until falling out of use in the late 4th century. MATERIALS: Rubble stone walling of Kentish Ragstone with tile banking. Ashlar quoins, column bases, door cill and jambs. The foundations and the first few courses above ground have been re-constructed using modern mortar. PLAN: Rectangular aisled plan with a projecting apse at the north end. One entrance to the south through a central doorway. The reconstruction is some 6m above and 75m to the north west of its original site. The orientation of the reconstruction also differs from the original where the apse formed the western end of the Mithraeum. The temple as displayed is broadly that of the mid-3rd century. EXTERIOR: Rubble stone walling with ad hoc tile banding; tile and ashlar quoins. The projecting apse is externally supported by three solid buttresses. INTERIOR: Raised side aisles separated from the nave by sleeper walls originally surmounted by seven stone columns, the locations of which are indicated by stone bases (not original). Raised dais which would have held the cult statue and Tauroctonos (bull-slaying scene). Stone slab in the floor south of dais (not original). Stone lined square well at the north end of the west aisle. HISTORY: The Mithraeum was constructed in the mid-3rd century AD, continuing in use until the late 4th century although it had probably been converted to the worship of Bacchus from the early 4th century onwards. It survived as a standing ruin into the Anglo-Saxon period. Rediscovered and excavated by Grimes 1952-1953 as a result of bomb damage clearance in preparation for the redevelopment of the Bucklersbury House site. Partially moved to its present site in 1962 where original fabric was used to form a reconstruction of the Mithraeum. The artefacts from the excavation, including high quality sculpture such as the head of Mithras, are now in the care of the Museum of London. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This structure is the only known Mithraeum from Roman London and one of only a handful discovered in Roman Britain. It was one of the most important and popular archaeological discoveries of the immediate post-War era. Interest was such that the public queued to visit the excavations and its future was the subject of intensive media compaigns which finally resulted in the removal and reconstruction of the site. In essence the reconstructed temple represents one of the first examples of development related archaeological conservation. The interest lies more in the Roman fabric than in the 1960s reconstruction. The adjacent Bucklesbury house and Temple Court were designed by O Campbell-Jones & Sons, 1953-1962. These structures and the plant room beneath the reconstructed temple are not regarded as possessing special interest. SOURCES: Grimes, W F, `The Excavation of Roman and Medieval London', 1998, Routledge and Kegan Paul. Schofield, J and Maloney, C (eds), `Archaeology in the City of London 1907-91: a guide to records of excavations by the Museum of London', The Archaeological Gazetteer Series Vol.1, 1998, Museum of London. Sheperd, S, 'The Temple of Mithras London' Excavations by W F Grimes and A Williams at the Walbrook', Archaeological Report 12, 1998, English Heritage.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491844
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grimes, W F , The Excavation of Roman and Medieval London, (1998)
Schofield, J, Maloney, C, 'The Archaeological Gazeteer Series' in Archaeology In The City Of London 1907-91: A Guide To Records Of Excavation By The Museum Of London, , Vol. 1, (1998)
Sheperd, S, 'Archaeological Report' in The Temple of Mithras London. Excavations By W F Grimes And A Williams At The Walbrook, , Vol. 12, (1998)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].