PADDINGTON, DISTRICT AND CIRCLE LINE UNDERGROUND STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392020
Date first listed:
11-Aug-2003
Statutory Address:
PADDINGTON, DISTRICT AND CIRCLE LINE UNDERGROUND STATION, PRAED STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PADDINGTON, DISTRICT AND CIRCLE LINE UNDERGROUND STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 01:25:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
PADDINGTON, DISTRICT AND CIRCLE LINE UNDERGROUND STATION, PRAED STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26698 81190

Details

1900/0/10307 PRAED STREET 11-AUG-03 Paddington, District and Circle Line Underground Station

GV II

Paddington District and Circle Line Underground Station. Train shed and platforms of 1866-68 by (Sir) John Fowler, engineer to the Metropolitan Railway. Street frontage rebuilt 1914 by Charles W. Clark, engineer to the Metropolitan Railway. Yellow brick, iron roof, white-glazed faience. EXTERIOR: central entrance flanked on each side by three shops. Two storeys. Projecting canopy with heavy scrolled consoles, segmental arched entrance with keystone. Ground floor shops divided by piers; left-handmost shop retains original shop front. Canted ends. First floor with 17 windows, each within a framed surround; some blind panels between them. Rusticated quoins to angles, and to slightly projecting centre-piece. Modillion cornice over frieze, latter inscribed in Roman capitals over entrance PADDINGTON STATION. Raised parapet to centre (originally topped with urns) inscribed METROPOLITAN RAILWAYS. INTERIOR: BOOKING HALL: much altered in c.1990 and clad in white tiles. No surviving features of note. INTERIOR: TRAIN SHED: retaining walls to cutting of tuck-pointed yellow (Halsey) brick with two-tier blind arcade; arcade of 20 bays on southern (westbound) side, of 22 bays on northern (eastbound) side. Segmental iron roof, part-glazed, with principal arches springing from cast iron foliate brackets; trussed purlins; roof in 2 sections, of 5 bays to west of booking hall, 3 to east; roof open at each end of the platforms. Booking hall built across centre of tracks and platforms; footbridge with latticed sides spans tracks to west. HISTORY: this station was originally Paddington Praed Street, and formed the northern end of the Metropolitan Railway's southwards extension to Gloucester Road, sanctioned by an Act of 1864. It opened on 1st October 1868. The earlier 1863 section of the Metropolitan Railway, the world's first underground line, terminated at a separate and now-demolished station named Paddington Bishop's Road. The Metropolitan Line was built as a 'cut and cover' project: the open ends of the roof enabled smoke and steam to escape, in order to improve ventilation along its length. Fowler's entrance and booking hall were later rebuilt in Charles Clark's characteristic white faience. SOURCES: 'The Builder' 3rd October 1868, 725-26; Lawrence Menear, 'London's Underground Stations' (1983), 9-13; David Lawrence, 'Underground Architecture' (1994), 12-13, 60. TQ2669881192

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
500816
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawrence, D, Underground Architecture, (1994), 12-13, 60
Menear, L, Londons Underground Stations, (1985), 9-13
'The Builder' in 3 October, (1868), 725-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].