BYKER NEIGHBOURHOOD ESTATE OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1392128
Date first listed:
22-Jan-2007
Date of most recent amendment:
18-May-2010
Statutory Address:
BYKER NEIGHBOURHOOD ESTATE OFFICE, 45-47, BRINKBURN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BYKER NEIGHBOURHOOD ESTATE OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:36:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
BYKER NEIGHBOURHOOD ESTATE OFFICE, 45-47, BRINKBURN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 26945 64461

Details

NZ2664SE BRINKBURN STREET 1833/30/10140 22-JAN-07 Nos 45-47, Byker Neighbourhood Estate Office (Formerly listed as: BRINKBURN STREET (West side) No 46, Byker Neighbourhood Estate Office)

(Formerly listed as: BRINKBURN STREET (West side)

Kendal Street No 46 Byker Neighbourhood Estate Office)

II* Former undertakers' shop (which also catered for weddings), later architects' office, now neighbourhood office. c.1899, extended c.1990. The original part of brown brick, the addition rendered, slate roofs, the original part with stack. Two storeys, timber sash windows, with original shop front to the original part. Timber doors. Included for historic interest, as it was here that Ralph Erskine established his office in July 1969, from which he reevaluated the proposals for the area made by the Housing Architect's Department the previous year. His report was published in 1970. Later the shop operated as a `drop in' centre where the residents could view the plans and get information on the redevelopment of their neighbourhood. Vernon Gracie and other architects lived on the first floor, to maintain a constant presence in the community. The concept of an architect living on site, holding council meetings and consultations here with members of the community was innovatory in the late 1960s and early 1970s and was a key part of the Byker concept.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
498944
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].