This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1392317



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 503770

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



II Church, 1955-59, Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendel for a Capuchin Friary and now a Roman Catholic parish church. Some later alteration, most notably to the sanctuary in 1995.

Red and grey bricks with pantile roof. Roughly cruciform plan with nave aisles, central tower, and (liturgically) south-eastern rooms; but not orientated.

EXTERIOR: the church is substantial, low and spreading, and characterised by its contrasting bands of fine brickwork, detailed window heads and simple geometric tracery, all hallmarks of Goodhart-Rendel's style. The majority of the decorative diapering is concentrated on the west front, with its splayed recessed central bay containing a large five light window and the main entrance, this flanked by four attractive sculptures of saints associated with the Capuchin order. The sanctuary was extended and the (liturgically) south-eastern section of the building altered in the 1990s, but the work was done to match the original and so externally the church retains its coherence.

INTERIOR: the impact is created by the long nave with its stylish hexagonal patterned ceiling of painted pre-cast concrete and plain washed aisle arches. Other features of note include the Goodhart-Rendel-designed leaded lights, north-western baptistery, and the surviving joinery such as the vestibule screen, gallery, and pews. Also of interest is a more than life-sized alabaster effigy of Francis Scawen Blunt (d. 1872) carved by his brother Wilfred, a 'hedonist, poet and breeder of Arab horses' (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography). There is a C19 marble-lined chapel of St Anthony of Padua in the south aisle; originally located in Mrs Alfred Montgomery's Naples villa, the chapel was installed in the Victorian friary church in the 1860s, and reinstated in the new church in 1959. There have been alterations to the interior, most notably the removal of the arch between the nave and the crossing which necessitated the insertion of a concealed steel support that support the tower and allowed a glazed screen with concrete cross beam to be placed between the sanctuary and the crossing. This resulted in the loss of part of Goodhart-Rendel's ceiling and his designed sanctuary altar, altar rails and flooring.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: large mid-late C19 churchyard with original walls containing a myriad number of gravemarkers and tombs, some of particular note including the vault of the Blount family, the grave of the notorious Victorian courtesan Catherine Walters, or Skittles (d. 1920), and those of Alfred Lord Douglas (d.1945), intimate friend and lover of Oscar Wilde, and his mother the Marchioness of Queensbury (d. 1937).

HISTORY: The Church of St Francis and St Anthony, now a parish church in the RC Diocese of Arundel and Brighton, was designed and built 1955-59 as the friary church of the Capuchin order which had resided in Crawley since the late 1850s. Invited to Britain from Italy by the Hon. Mrs Alfred Montgomery, the Capuchins' first church and buildings, completed in 1861, were on land donated by her cousin Francis Scawen Blunt. By the 1950s, spurred by the development of Crawley New Town after World War II, the friary community had outgrown the church and a new building was commissioned from the noted church architect Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendel.

The agreed scheme was for a building orientated at right angles to the old church with the sanctuary built over its nave, hence incorporating older tombs into the new foundations which are now marked by plaques. The builders were James Longley and Co of Crawly and the building opened in November 1959. The building was altered in 1995.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION The Friary Church, Crawley is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * it is of special architectural interest as an impressive work by the eminent architect H. S. Goodhart-Rendel who designed a number of churches four of which are already listed for their monumental scale, decorative austerity and fine detailing - features they posses in common with this Friary Church, Crawley; * while the building has experience some alterations at the east end, these are more than compensated for by the rest of the interior, in particular the nave with its surviving ceiling, pews, gallery and C19 Italian marble chapel, the wood vestibule fittings, leaded lights throughout the church, solid wood doors flanked by carved figures of saints at the west end, and the overall architectural quality of the exterior; * built in the centre of Crawley New Town in 1959, the church is of special historic interest as an important component of the dramatic expansion of the town in the mid-C20; this a significant development of post-war planning.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26951 36453


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 07:28:47.

End of official listing