GATES TO REDWORTH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392339
Date first listed:
18-Dec-2007
Statutory Address:
GATES TO REDWORTH HALL, HIGHSIDE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392339.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 06:57:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATES TO REDWORTH HALL, HIGHSIDE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Darlington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Heighington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 23152 22805

Reasons for Designation



* It is an elegant example of an early C19 country house entrance * It has Group Value with the listed Redworth Hall and although it has been moved it retains its landscape context in relation to the Hall. * Its association with one of Durham's major families is explicit in the incorporation of the Surtees' crests and the letters VS

Details

HEIGHINGTON

1667/0/10007 HIGHSIDE ROAD 18-DEC-07 Gates to Redworth Hall

GV II Gate piers and gates at the entrance to Redworth Hall. Early C19 for Robert Surtees, resited on a new entrance during the inter-war period.

MATERIALS: sandstone rubble piers, wrought iron gates.

Four rusticated tall, round piers with stepped copings and each carrying a ball finial. The two main gate piers have inset round medallions bearing the Surtees' crest. The entrance contains original ornamental double wrought iron gates flanked by single, narrow gates. The main gates have the letters V and S incorporated in their wrought iron work.

HISTORY: Redworth Hall, which is listed in Grade II, has its origins in the early C17 and has been in the ownership of the Surtees family for generations. Robert Surtees, a relation of the celebrated Historian Robert Surtees of Mainsforth lived at the hall in the early C19 when these gate posts and piers were said to have been erected. They are believed to have been a wedding present to his wife Elizabeth, whom records show he married in 1811. Ordnance Survey maps show that in the mid-C19, the main and probably original entrance to the estate lay to the east, and the hall was accessed along a curving driveway. Between 1923 and 1939, a new and longer drive was created to the west of the hall with its entrance on Park House Lane. The hall now operates as a hotel and both of the former entrances and drives have gone out of use and a new hotel entrance has been created to the north.

DESCRIPTION These gates and gateposts are located at the entrance to the second driveway which map analysis shows was not constructed until at least the mid 1920s. They comprise a set of double wrought iron gates supported by a pair of gate piers flanked by single, narrow gates supported on the other side by another gate pier. The piers, which are identical, are tall columns of rustic sandstone rubble with offset bases and stepped copings with ball finials. The two main piers have inset bronze medallions of the Surtees family crest. The ornamental wrought iron gates carry a circular motif containing the letters V and S probably denoting the Surtees family. Abutting stone walls to either side are C20 in date.

SOURCES: www.british-history.ac.uk

REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION This entrance to Redworth Hall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* It is an elegant example of an early C19 country house entrance * It has Group Value with the listed Redworth Hall and although it has been moved it retains its landscape context in relation to the Hall. * Its association with one of Durham's major families is explicit in the incorporation of the Surtees' crests and the letters VS

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
503947
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].