Boer War Memorial, Cannon Hill Park

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1392586

Date first listed: 14-May-2008

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Mar-2016

Statutory Address: Boer War Memorial, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham, B5

Map

Ordnance survey map of Boer War Memorial, Cannon Hill Park
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:33:48.

Location

Statutory Address: Boer War Memorial, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham, B5

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SP0682683927

Summary

A war memorial to the fallen of Birmingham in the Boer War, designed by Albert Toft and completed in 1906.

Reasons for Designation

The Boer War Memorial in Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:

* DESIGN: The massing of the monument and its sculptural grouping are of high quality;

* SCULPTOR: The work of the Sculptor, Albert Toft, is highly considered;

* HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: As a monument to those who fell in the Boer war it is a relative rarity;

* SETTING: The monument sits well within the context of its landscape setting, which is included on the Historic England Register of Parks and Gardens.



History

The area was laid out as a public park in the C19. Land was gifted for the purpose by Louisa Ann Ryland and the park was planned by John Gibson (1815-75), who had also laid out Victoria Park and Battersea Park in London. The Boer War memorial was not at first intended to be sited here, but the park was chosen in 1904 after Old Square and Corporation Street in the city centre had both been rejected. The Birmingham Daily Mail started a fund in 1903 for a memorial to the 521 soldiers who had died in South Africa. £2,000 was raised and a competition was held amongst fifteen invited sculptors. Toft's design was considered to combine elements of the real and the ideal. It was cast in London at Parlanti's foundry, using the cire-perdue method which allowed a finely detailed surface finish. The monument was unveiled by Lieutenant-General Sir Ian Hamilton on 23 June 1906.

In 2012 the memorial underwent cleaning and repairs, funded through the Grants for War Memorials scheme; as part of this project the missing wreath was restored as was some damage to the soldiers' bayonets.

Details

A war memorial to the fallen of Birmingham in the Boer War, designed by Albert Toft and completed in 1906.

MATERIALS: the memorial has a pink granite pedestal, bearing a bronze sculpture with bronze plaques to its sides.

PLAN: the plinth has four buttresses, above which the base has dished sides, giving it a bell-shaped profile, which bear bronze plaques. This dies back by offsets to support the large bronze sculptural group which crowns the monument.

DETAILS: to the front the plaque shows two kneeling, weeping figures, representing Grief and Sympathy, at either side of a cartouche that has commemorative lettering in relief which reads: "TO / THE GLORIOUS MEMORY / OF THE / SONS OF BIRMINGHAM / WHO FELL IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899-1902 / AND TO PERPETUATE / THE EXAMPLE OF ALL WHO / SERVED IN THE WAR / THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED / BY THEIR FELLOW CITIZENS". Names and ranks of the fallen are inscribed on plaques on the other three sides. To the top of the memorial is a large bronze sculpture, showing rocky ground on which is a cannon flanked by two soldiers, representing Courage and Endurance. Standing on top of the cannon is the robed figure of Peace who carries a shield on her left arm, showing the city arms and an olive branch. Her right hand holds a wreath.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 18 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 504047

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Noszlopy, G T , Public Sculpture of Birmingham, (1998), 106
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 18 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/106586
War Memorials Register, accessed 18 January 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17351

End of official listing