ECCLESTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392654
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
ECCLESTON HALL, HOLME ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392654.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 03:42:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
ECCLESTON HALL, HOLME ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
St. Helens (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48732 95036

Details

SJ 49 SE ECCLESTON HOLME ROAD

7/102 ECCLESTON HALL

II Hospital administration building, formerly the house of Samuel Taylor, a cotton manufacturer. Probably early 1830s: (the old house was pulled down in 1824; Eccleston Church (q.v.) was also built by Taylor, in 1838). Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate hipped roof. Plan: entrance and vestibule to E, with central stair-hall; principal rooms to S (overlooking garden), other private rooms to N: 2 rear wings, one (NW) containing services, the other (SW) possibly containing billiards room, the latter the only single-storeyed part of the otherwise 2-storeyed building. Exterior: Entrance front (glazed veranda now removed), 3 bays, the centre bay recessed (tripartite sash window with glazing bars) above entrance flush with side bays, the plain entablature supported by 2 Greek Doric columns. One first floor 12-pane hornless sash window only to each side bay. Deeply overhanging eaves throughout. S (garden) elevation: 1:3:1; the centre bays projecting as a shallow curved wing: 12-pane sashes in reveals to first floor; tripartite garden doors; glazed, to side bays; double French windows to centre bays, slightly recessed with 4 Greek Doric attached columns. A single-storeyed 3-window range (probably a billiards room) forms part of this front; 2-light windows with moulded surrounds and lintels on console brackets. N elevation, plain with sash windows. Service wing, sash and casement windows under hood moulds. Interior: marble fireplaces, plaster cornices, moulded door surrounds throughout; stair with stick balusters; stair hall lit by 2 large round-headed windows. Victorian fireplace to vestibule.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
505587
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].