MASTER'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED STONE BUILT PORTION OF SHEVINGTON COMMUNITY PRIMARY SCHOOL (NURSERY DEPARTMENT)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392763
Date first listed:
02-Sep-2005
Statutory Address:
MASTER'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED STONE BUILT PORTION OF SHEVINGTON COMMUNITY PRIMARY SCHOOL (NURSERY DEPARTMENT), MILES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MASTER'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED STONE BUILT PORTION OF SHEVINGTON COMMUNITY PRIMARY SCHOOL (NURSERY DEPARTMENT)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 14:10:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
MASTER'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED STONE BUILT PORTION OF SHEVINGTON COMMUNITY PRIMARY SCHOOL (NURSERY DEPARTMENT), MILES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Shevington
National Grid Reference:
SD 53673 08580

Reasons for Designation

Details

SHEVINGTON,

1484/0/10017, MILES LANE

02-SEP-05

Master's House and attached stone built portion of Shevington Community Primary School (Nursery Department)

II

School, now closed, 1814, founder probably Richard Perryn, Rector of Standish 1779-1826. Coursed dressed stone with a slate roof and brick chimney stack. Four bays, of which three are the school and one is the master's house to the left. Single bay in depth, but the master's house is deeper than school. Windows on two floors throughout, upper windows have eight lights in pairs with upper four opening, lower windows have 12 lights in pairs with upper four opening. Single storey entrance lobby with hipped roof to right, with single door to front and two windows to side. Plaque between school room and master's house reading "This school for pious and useful learning was built by voluntary subscription in the year of our Lord 1814 RPR". Separate entrance to master's house to left. At the rear the windows of the master's house have been altered, but on the school room the upper three windows have three 6-pane lights divided by two mullions, and one lower window has wooden mullions and transom with a side-hung casement to the centre light. The other two lower windows are pairs of French windows.

INTERIOR: Entrance lobby to right of single schoolroom which has windows on two levels but has only one storey. Two king-post roof trusses partly visible below false ceiling. Blocked fireplace at left end. Master's house has door to left into small lobby leading to front room with blocked fireplace to right, blocked door to right of fireplace into schoolroom. Door at rear leads to staircase to left and back room to right with door to schoolroom. First floor has two rooms. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A rare surviving example of a single room school house and attached master's house from the early nineteenth century, this structure merits listing at Grade II.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491258
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].