CABMEN'S SHELTER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393142
Date first listed:
19-Feb-2009
Statutory Address:
CABMEN'S SHELTER, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CABMEN'S SHELTER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 15:16:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CABMEN'S SHELTER, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Ripon
National Grid Reference:
SE 31230 71248

Reasons for Designation

The Cabmen's Shelter is designated for listing at grade II for the following principal reasons:

* It has a highly decorative Edwardian design, dating from 1911 * It is a nationally rare and well preserved example of a cabmen's shelter, an important reminder of the importance of horse-drawn transport in the early C20, supplied by the well-known firm of Boulton and Paul of Norwich.

Details

RIPON

97/0/10011 MARKET PLACE 19-FEB-09 Cabmen's shelter

II Cabmen's shelter, 1911 by Boulton and Paul of Norwich and paid for by Sarah Carter of Ripon.

MATERIALS Timber with ironwork balustrade and guttering, beechwood shingled roof.

FORM Prefabricated timber building about 2m by 3m, divided up into 4 bays long by 3 bays wide. Door central to one gable end giving access to the undivided interior. The structure is raised onto a low, small wheeled steel chassis dating to 1980 and fixed in place since 1999.

EXTERIOR Each bay has a glazed upper portion divided up with thin glazing bars, the lower portion being diagonally boarded panels. The bays are divided by decorative pilasters. The lower half of each pilaster features turned sections divided by unturned blocks; the upper half, separating the windows, are fluted, curving outwards to support a shelf that extends around the structure at door lintel height. This narrow shelf has a decorative mini balustrade of iron fretwork which has been described as being in Chinese Chippendale style. This balustrade protects a run of small windows, some of which open for ventilation. Above there is a simply curving eaves cornice supporting the overhanging roof. The roof has small gablettes and is hipped. Covered with beechwood shingles, shingles also used for the ridge and hips. On one side of the shelter, immediately below the windows, there is a maker's plate. INTERIOR The interior is plain boarded, finished with a skirting board. The sides have simple built-in benches supported on turned legs.

HISTORY The shelter was paid for by Sarah Carter (daughter of a former mayor of Ripon) in 1911 for the use of the city's drivers of horse drawn cabs awaiting fares. It was built as a prefabricated building by Boulton and Paul, the Norwich firm which also provided the huts for Scott's 1910-13 Antarctic expedition. It was restored by the Royal Engineers in 1980 who fitted it onto a wheeled chassis to allow it to be moved. It was restored again in circa 1990 following damage caused by a vehicle impact. In 1999 it was fixed in place just a few yards south of its original location.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION

The Cabmen's Shelter is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons

* It has a highly decorative Edwardian design, dating from 1911. * It is a nationally rare and well preserved example of a cabmen's shelter, an important reminder of the importance of horse-drawn transport in the early C20, supplied by the well-known firm of Boulton and Paul of Norwich.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
505585
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].