MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1393744

Date first listed: 09-Apr-2010

Statutory Address: MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER, MEMORIAL SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393744 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:48:54.

Location

Statutory Address: MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER, MEMORIAL SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 42347 14424

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The memorial clock tower at Coalville, built in 1925, should be designated at Grade II, for the following principle reasons: * Architectural Interest: The memorial clock tower is an imposing, proud and architecturally distinctive tribute to The Fallen of the First and Second World Wars. * Historic Interest: It is an important reminder of nationally and internationally significant events. Its special historic interest is enhanced by the memorial stone erected specifically to mark the end of the Second World War.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



52/0/10014 MEMORIAL SQUARE 09-APR-10 Memorial Clock Tower

II Memorial clock tower by Henry Collins, 1925.

MATERIALS: Staffordshire brick, Stone and Granite.

PLAN: Square in plan, the memorial clock tower stands 68 feet tall with close vertical projecting bands and a stone top with concave sides. Its square base measures 13feet 6inches square and the tower is approached by a set of steps on each side with associated wing walls built in local rubble granite. There is a clock face at the top of each of the four sides. The inscription reads THIS TOWER/ WAS/ ERECTED/ BY THE /INHABITANTS/ OF THE DISTRICT/ IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ WHO WENT FROM/ THE COALVILLE URBAN/ AREA. There are three identical tablets to the fallen of World War I which read: IN LOVING AND GRATEFUL REMEMBERANCE/ OF (NAMES)/ WHO, TO THEIR IMPERISHABLE HONOUR GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. There are four identical tablets to the fallen of World War II: IN LOVING AND GRATEFUL REMEMBERANCE/ OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO, TO THEIR IMPERISHABLE HONOUR GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1939-1945. The inscription on a memorial stone near the north side of the clock tower reads: "FOR YOUR TOMORROW/ WE GAVE OUR TODAY"/ THIS STONE COMMEMORATES/ THE ENDING OF THE/ 2ND WORLD WAR/ 15TH. AUGUST 1945/ THEIR SACRIFICE WAS NOT IN VAIN/ "WE WILL REMEMBER THEM"/

SUBSIDARY FEATURES: A separate memorial stone is situated close to the north side of the clock tower. It commemorates the end of World War II and is clearly later in date but is now integral to the context of the clock tower.

HISTORY: The memorial clock tower was designed by Henry Collins and built by W Moss Ltd in 1925 at a cost of £2,250. It was designed to replace the first cenotaph to The Fallen which had been installed in the boundary wall of the railway station in 1919. The memorial clock was officially opened by Mrs Booth of Gracedieu Manor at a memorial service on October 31st 1925. Ten thousand people attended and the Coalville Company of the 5th Leicestershire regiment led a procession, headed by the regimental band. A procession of ex-servicemen and a detachment of C squadron of the Leicestershire Yeomanry marched from Whitwick and another party of ex-servicemen, including 22 surviving members of the 'first fifty' was led from the Fox and Goose public house by The Hugglescote and Ellistown Band.

SOURCES UK National Inventory of War Memorials, Ref 14828

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The memorial clock tower at Coalville, built in 1925, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Architectural Interest: The memorial clock tower is an imposing, proud and architecturally distinctive tribute to The Fallen of the First and Second World Wars. * Historic Interest: It is an important reminder of nationally and internationally significant events. Its special historic interest is enhanced by the memorial stone erected specifically to mark the end of the Second World War.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 507626

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 20 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/123055
War Memorials Register, accessed 20 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14828

End of official listing