RE-USED ELIZABETHAN LEDGER SLAB IN THE CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1393858
Date first listed:
24-Jun-2010
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Jun-2010
Statutory Address:
RE-USED ELIZABETHAN LEDGER SLAB IN THE CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, TOWNGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393858.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:08:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
RE-USED ELIZABETHAN LEDGER SLAB IN THE CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, TOWNGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Eccleston
National Grid Reference:
SD 51663 17853

Reasons for Designation

The re-used Elizabethan ledger located on the east side of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Its origin in the C16 as an effigial slab commemorating William Stopford and his wife, a rare example of this memorial type in Lancashire * Its secondary history as an unusual example of early C19 re-use of a formerly internal ledger as an external memorial.

Details

1837/0/10019

ECCLESTON TOWNGATE (Off) RE-USED ELIZABETHAN LEDGER SLAB IN THE CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY 24-JUN-10

II* Effigial ledger. 1584 commemorating William Stopford and wife, re-used in 1812 to commemorate John Hodson. Located in churchyard at east end of Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston. Sandstone.

Large, thick rectangular slab with underside heavily chamfered and set slightly proud of the ground and aligned east-west. Stone has weathered particularly to south-west corner, and lichen and algae have grown on exposed surfaces. Original inscribed design of 2 full-length figures lying side-by-side on their backs with their hands held in an attitude of prayer. Larger, male figure on left. Both figures wear simple draped clothing, the male apparently with a large winged collar, and the female's head is hooded. Around the edge of the stone is a medieval-type border inscription, now largely illegible. A secondary inscription is heavily incised over the figures' torsos. It reads 'JOHN HODSON / WRIGHTINGTON / 1812'.

HISTORY: The original Elizabethan ledger would have been located within the church where its main purpose was to elicit the intercession of the faithful through prayer. The name and date are now illegible, but are recorded in the Victoria County History of 1911. It had an interesting secondary history being later removed to the churchyard, and in the early C19 being appropriated to commemorate one John Hodson of Wrightington, a small village in the parish of Eccleston, who died in 1812.

SOURCES Wiliam Farrer & J Brownbill (eds), A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp 155-62.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The re-used Elizabethan ledger located on the east side of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Its origin in the C16 as an effigial slab commemorating William Stopford and his wife, a rare example of this memorial type in Lancashire * Its secondary history as an unusual example of early C19 re-use of a formerly internal ledger showing a continuity of tradition and the desire for perpetual remembrance of an individual by means of a memorial stone

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
507684
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].