Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:20:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:

Reasons for Designation

Dated 1847, this well preserved example of the Bedfordshire water powered corn milling industry should be listed.


346/1/10016 07-JAN-05

ASTWICK MILL LANE Bowman's water mill


Water powered corn mill, dated 1847. Mill and despatch building. Local gault brick, slate roofs. Mill. Three storeys on upstream side, four storeys on downstream side, plus upper floor lit from gable ends. Five bay east and west elevations, three bay south elevation. East and west fronts articulated by two full height, round-headed recessed panels, gable ends with a single broad recessed panel. Metal framed fixed lights with small panes, under segmental arched heads. East front has inserted doors and windows under concrete lintels. Loading door at first floor. South elevation symmetrical with metal framed windows or blind openings, two per floor except for single upper floor window. Cast iron overshot water wheel in wheel pit. West front. Large rectangular entrance in altered opening under steel joist, at basement level, flanked by metal framed light. Upper floor largely metal framed lights, some blind openings, one irregular upper floor light. North front. Recessed panel with single upper floor light, the arch part blocked by two storey block.

INTERIOR. Mill floors of broad elm boards, connected by ladder stairs. Floor hatches at each floor. Lower, ground and first floors supported on cast iron columns, upper floors on timber shafts. Broad internal doorway, with vertically boarded door, on north wall at ground level, leading to despatch building. Queen strut roof, braced to the lower purlin.

Machinery. Basement. Intact octagonal cast iron hurst frame and machinery, with classical detailing to the piers, linked to water wheel. Drive shaft to upper level with crown wheel at first floor. All stone floor stones, hoists, bins etc from upper floors are removed.

Attached two storey, three bay building with external stack to north. Symmetrical east front with wide central entrance under segmental brick arch. First floor loading door. Windows small paned metal lights with opening central element, except for ground floor right window, which is a timber sash. North doorway. West front extended and altered.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT There were four hundred mills in Bedforshire making flour in 1855 (Howes). Bowman's mill is one of a few surviving from the mid C19 corn milling industry on the River Ivel in Mid Bedfordshire. By 1983 only Jordan's mill operated commercially. The river apparently provided a good reliable source of energy although some such as Bowman's used auxiliary steam power. It is still recognisable as a workable mill. It has lost its steam powered element but the site is undeveloped and the archaeology of both water and steam powered systems survives. The contemporary mill house is adjacent to it. The river, enlarged to form a mill pond, and blocked penstock, are in the grounds of the house.

Taylor's mill in the same parish, is an earlier building, of combined mill and mill house, listed but converted to residential use. Stotfold Mill also listed, was rebuilt after severe fire damage in the 1990s and restored as a working mill. It too has a large octagonal cast iron hurst frame, a local feature. Langford Mill and Biggleswade Mill, the latter listed are similar to Bowman's mill but both converted to residential use and have lost their milling context. Jordan's (Holme) Mill operates commercially, is extended and has later C19 machinery. The mid C19 context has gone. The site is an important survival of the mid C19 corn milling industry, and the building is one of the best preserved mills of this period in the county. It is a dated building, architecturally intact, and with sufficient machinery and surrounding archaeological evidence to read as a working mill. It is well documented and photographed. Both mill and mill house are prominent, the scale and appearance of both critical to the landscape.

Bedforshire Mills, Hugh Howes, 1983 The Windmills and Watermills of Bedfordshire, Kenneth Major, 1967 Hurst Frame, Bowman's Mill, Astwick, Beds. Drawing by Wilfred Foreman, 1986


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].