WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394006

Date first listed: 04-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL, CHURCHFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 08:25:49.

Location

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL, CHURCHFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Tewin

National Grid Reference: TL 26812 14273

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial in Tewin, designed by Sir Herbert Baker and erected in 1920, is listed for the following principal reasons: * Historical: The memorial has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in the two world wars. * Architectural: It is a finely crafted tribute to the fallen by Sir Herbert Baker, an eminent architect with over forty listed buildings to his name. * Group Value: The memorial is located at the end of a long avenue leading up to St Peter's Church with which it forms an architecturally distinct group.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWIN

1197/0/10019 CHURCHFIELD ROAD 04-OCT-10 St Peter's Church (West of) War Memorial

II War memorial located in front of St Peter's Church, designed by Sir Herbert Baker and erected in 1920.

BUILDING The memorial is constructed of Portland stone and comprises a simple cross set atop a square chamfered column with plain moulded capital, mounted upon a two tiered octagonal base and plinth. The front of the column is adorned with the sword of sacrifice on the capital and a crusader ship on the base. On the front of the plinth is inscribed: 'AD TE DOMINE. IN MEMORIAM OFFICERS AND MEN OF TEWIN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918'; and on the rear is inscribed 'THEIR NAME LIVETH FOREVERMORE'. The remaining six sides of the plinth are inscribed with the names of the fallen, and the tablet on the base with those who died 1939-1945.

HISTORY The memorial was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and was erected in front of St Peter's Church in 1920. The names of those who fell in the Second World War were subsequently added on a tablet. Herbert Baker was chosen for the commission as he designed the Tewin Memorial Hall (1922) during the same period. A well known architect who is associated with over forty listed buildings, Baker spent much of his career designing major government buildings in South Africa and India before establishing a successful practice in England. He was invited to serve as one of the architects for the Imperial War Graves Commission from 1917 to 1928 and he supervised the construction of over 100 cemeteries in France.

SOURCES UK National Inventory of War Memorials http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/ accessed 19.04.10 Oxford Dictionary of National Biography http://www.oxforddnb.com/ accessed 19.04.10

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The war memorial in Tewin, designed by Sir Herbert Baker and erected in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historical: the memorial has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in the two world wars. * Architectural: it is a finely crafted tribute to the fallen by Sir Herbert Baker, an eminent architect with over forty listed buildings to his name. * Group Value: the memorial is located at the end of a long avenue leading up to St Peter's Church with which it forms an architecturally distinct group.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 508105

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/104030
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20014

End of official listing