CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394011

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 10:45:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 76030 62286

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH ROAD Combe Down (South side)

Church of the Holy Trinity (Formerly Listed as: DE MONTALT ROAD, Combe Down Church of the Holy Trinity) 01/02/56

GV II

Anglican parish church. Dated 1834 (1832-1835) and 1883-1884, when aisles were added and chancel extended (BOE). Architect HE Goodridge, extensions by WJ Willcox. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, slate roofs. PLAN: Nave, west tower and porch, north and south aisles with east chapels, north porch, octagonal chancel. STYLE: Early Gothic Revival in what Pevsner calls `fanciful and crazy', but the major additions in serious C14 Decorated detail. EXTERIOR: West front has broad tower base with four prominent square buttresses rising to octagonal shafts with pinnacles, central two continue through as `supporters' to octagonal tower and spire, with lattice fliers and open parapet. Plank door has carved spandrels with scroll which includes 1834 date, below three-light window incorporating rose, and with stone foliate cross at bottom of centre light. Above lancet with stone diagonal tracery to bell-chamber. Set back each side of west wall of original nave, with two-stage corner buttresses, further set back aisle with two-light window, and diagonal buttress. Chamfered plinth, hollow-mould cornice, blocking course and high saddle-back parapet continue round whole building. South side has single bay of nave with two-light window, two paired shallow two-light clerestory windows above aisle with three three-light, and corner buttress to octagonal pinnacle. To right added vestry with door in flat four-centred arch to west, and two two-light to south. East end has projecting chancel with three deep two-light windows with hood-moulds, cornice with gargoyles and leaf decoration, diagonal pinnacles, and high double plinth. Inscribed foundation stone gives July 21st 1883, with names of vicar and churchwardens. To left aisle and vestry with two two-light windows, and paired octagonal chimney-shafts, right side similar but without chimneys. North side as south, four-light window with square head, gabled porch near east end, on pair of plank doors in deep reveal to double chamfered pointed arch, flanked by octagonal turrets with pinnacles. INTERIOR: All walls are plastered and painted. Broad nave has three-bay arcades with octagonal piers to double wave-mould arches under paired clerestory lights, and all covered by very flat coved plaster vault with thin ribs to large lozenge panels, ribs brought down to small corbels, and wall arches below heads of clerestory windows. Wide moulded chancel arch has short shaft responds, each side of this lower arches within nave, with moulded arches at east end of aisles, beyond. Chancel has two-bay arcades with octagonal piers to carved capitals, and flat panelled ceiling. Aisles have lean-to timber roofs to principals on long posts to corbels. Floors are tiled, with wood block to pewed areas. Fittings: pews are late C19 pitch-pine with plain ends, and chancel stalls and fittings appear to be contemporary with extensions. Octagonal stone pulpit, small octagonal font, some windows with coloured glass. HISTORY: The church was built through the endeavours of George Steart, paper manufacturer, of Bally, Ellen & Steart, proprietors of the De Montalt Mill. SOURCES: (Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects. 1600-1840: London: 1978-: 352; Orbach J: Card Index of Bath Architects and Streets: 1978-). Listing NGR: ST7603062286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509403

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing