COMBE DOWN JUNIOR SCHOOL, WITH PIERS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1394014
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1990
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
COMBE DOWN JUNIOR SCHOOL, WITH PIERS AND RAILINGS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMBE DOWN JUNIOR SCHOOL, WITH PIERS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394014.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 20:02:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
COMBE DOWN JUNIOR SCHOOL, WITH PIERS AND RAILINGS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 76204 62322

Details

CHURCH ROAD Combe Down (South side)

Combe Down Junior School, with piers and railings 05/12/90

GV II

School. 1840, enlarged in 1887 and c1900. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, slate roofs. PLAN: Original building, west front range, consisted of school master's house on ground and first floors with school room above on second floor. 1887 large single storey schoolroom wing, now assembly hall, built at back (east) and in c1900 further school room was built on south side of rear wing. STYLE: Simplified Gothic style. EXTERIOR: Three storey front range with two window west front. On first floor two large windows, each with group of four cusped lancets. Similar but two and three-light windows on second floor in asymmetrical gables. Lower ground floor has two small replacement lights, doorway at centre with shouldered head, and garage door to right. At each gable end two-light lancet at second floor. Conical metal ventilator on ridge, and deep plain stacks to each coped verge. Elevation to North Road has two and three-light stone mullion windows and wide coped gable over stepped four-light cusped lancet under small quatrefoil, with shoulder to left with cropped stack. Stone plaque records work `In Memory of Rev Wm Batchellor ....' who `... changed this life for immortaility on 31st January 1856'. Further roof vent, and, far left, porch with small coped gable over plank doorway to shouldered lintel. On south side c1900 school room with gable-ended roof elevation to Rev William Batchellor, and on south return from main front, has splayed corner with squinch projecting gabled unit on three storeys with sashes, and window with four-centred head and iron armature in sixteen panes plus interlace, above two-light lancet with cusping. INTERIOR: School room on second floor of original west front range open to roof but hammer beam trusses are boxed in. Dogleg staircase has stick balusters and turned newels. School room/assembly hall in rear wing divided by folding sliding partition and open to roof, cross gabled at centre. At west end short curved length of retaining wall with rounded curb carrying two panels of spear-head railings, and with two square ashlar piers, protecting lower ground floor area. Unusual design, still in use as a school. SOURCES: (Kelly's Directory: Kelly EH: Somersetshire: London: 1910-: 214). Listing NGR: ST7620462322

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509406
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top