1-16, LANSDOWN PLACE EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394113

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 1-16, LANSDOWN PLACE EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-16, LANSDOWN PLACE EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:39:29.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-16, LANSDOWN PLACE EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74717 65890

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANSDOWN PLACE EAST Nos.1-16 (Consec) (Formerly Listed as: LANSDOWN PLACE EAST Nos 1 -11 (consec). Nos 12 & 13. Nos 14- 16 (consec))

12/06/50

GV II

Curved terrace of sixteen houses. On a site that slopes up from No.1 to the right. 1792-1795. By John Palmer. Nos 4-9 were blitzed in World War II and rebuilt in facsimile. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, double pitched slate mansard roofs with moulded stacks to coped party walls. Double-depth plans. EXTERIOR: Three storeys with attics and basements. Coped parapets that return slightly to the right to accommodate the stepping up, cornices and sill courses to the upper floors. No.1 is on an acute-angle curved corner with Lansdown Road, with three windows to the front, one to the corner and two to the right return. The roof is hipped to the right with stacks to the left party wall and rear; the parapet is articulated by piers over Ionic pilasters that flank the outer ranges of the front and left return (six in all); dentil cornice and plain frieze band; six/six-pane sash windows, those flanking the corner are blind; ground floor cornice; a set back six-panel door and overlight are in an open projecting porch with reeded edges to a segmental-curved stone roof supported by thin Tuscan columns fronting the side walls, (similar to that of Hope House, Bath High School (qv). No.2 has two-window range with stopped cornice, six/six-pane sash windows to second floor, six/nine-panes to first floor with trellised balconettes and set back six-panel door glazed to top in pedimented doorcase on Tuscan pilasters. No.3 has similar to No.2 with horns to windows, splayed reveals to ground floor and painted doorcase. Nos 4-9 are rebuilt in similar style (see photographs of wartime damage). No.10 has three-window range with modillion cornice, horned six/six-pane sash windows and set back six-panel door glazed to top in plain opening. No.11 has three-window range with higher C19 roof, modillion cornice damaged at centre, horns to windows, all with balconettes and painted sills: six/six panes to second floor, six/nine panes with lowered sills and splayed jambs to first floor and six/six panes to ground floor. Set back six-panel door and overlight are set in plain opening with rolled arrises. No.12 has three-window range with plate glass sash windows, those to second and ground floors have stuck-on glazing bars, some are missing, lowered sills and balconettes to first floor. Set back six-panel door has radial fan set into overlight. No.13 has three-window range with painted splayed reveals and sills to six/six-pane sash windows with balconettes on scroll supports. Six-panel door, glazed to top in plain opening. No.14 similar to No.13 with balconettes to first floor only and C20 door and overlight. No.15 has three-window range with balconettes to horned plate glass windows, lowered sills to first floor and six-panel door glazed to top under C19 swept ogee canopy with delicate fretted frieze. No.16, left terminal, has three-window range with horned six/six-pane sash windows and canted balconettes to first floor. Left entrance return has two/two-pane sash window to centre of both upper floors over single storey enclosed porch with cornice and blocking course, tall keystones to semicircular arches over plate glass window to front and one to right of porch (lighting inner lobby), entrance to left. Within porch is six-panel door and overlight. INTERIORS: Not inspected. No. 1 recorded by Bath Preservation Trust survey of interiors in 1993. Built and commissioned by Spackman, half landing between ground and first floor has Gothick door with overpainted coloured glass panels. Original staircase and most other features. Original stone-flagged floors in kitchen. No. 3 recorded by Bath Preservation Trust 1993. Four flight cantilevered wooden staircase, most fireplaces retained, room on first floor had interconnecting doors , now blocked up. Second floor cupboard with six-panelled door, enclosed staircase to third floor. Box framed cupboards in rear bedrooms. No. 10 recorded by Bath Preservation Trust survey of interiors in 2001. The house suffered bomb damage in 1942 though many of the original mouldings seem to have been retained. Hall has open stringed wooden staircase, wooden balusters with every sixth metal; plaster frieze with bucrania (cf No 16). Ornate white marble fireplace ground floor, C20 kitchen to rear. First floor drawing room with later fireplace. No. 16 recorded by Bath Preservation Trust survey of interiors in 1994. Stone cantilevered staircase with stone half landing built at later date. Venetian window added. Hall has a plaster frieze with bucrania (cf No 10); arch in library highly decorated, white stone floor inset with black stone diamonds. Panelled entrance. Stone staircase enclosed to cellar, mahogany rail, metal newel post and every sixth baluster. Fireplace in front dining room brought from Roundway House, Devizes: two putti at sides, girl with pitcher and bowl, and an eagle. Ground floor kitchen has large cupboard made of old Tudor linenfold panelling, dated 1585, from Syston Court, Bitton. Similar cupboards across the wall opposite the window, probably circa 1860 and made to match the earlier linenfold. HISTORY: Part of Spackman's ambitious development on the slopes of Lansdown Hill, but conceived on a less monumental scale than Lansdown Crescent [qv]. The extent of post-Blitz rebuilding is quite considerable. Nos 12 and 13 were listed on 11th August 1972. SOURCES: (The Bath Chronicle: Images of Bath: Derby: 1994-).

Listing NGR: ST7471965889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509501

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing