1-9, LANSDOWN PLACE WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394114

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 1-9, LANSDOWN PLACE WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-9, LANSDOWN PLACE WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:13:12.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-9, LANSDOWN PLACE WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74522 66019

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANSDOWN PLACE WEST (North side) Nos.1-9 (Consec) 12/06/50

GV II

Convex crescent of nine terrace houses stepped steeply downhill from No.1 to the right. Completed 1792 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATRERIALS: Limestone ashlar, double pitched slate mansard roof with moulded stacks to party walls. PLAN: Double depth plans. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attics and basements, three-window fronts except for No.1, which has a four-window front. Coped parapets, modillion cornices, ground floor platbands and plinths. Unaltered houses have first floor sill bands, six-panel doors and overlights to the right. No.1 has six/six-pane sash windows to two paired dormers, second floor and semi-basement, horizontal glazing bars to two/two-pane sash windows to first and upper ground floors, lowered sills and good trellis and scroll balcony on paired cast iron brackets to first floor. Entrance in right return has steps up to eight-panel door with semicircular fanlight flanked by windows with semicircular arches and C20 glass covered by late C19 grilles. Paired engaged Tuscan columns to sides support pediment. Above, to first floor Venetian margin paned window blind to sides with similar tripartite window to second floor. No.2, stepped sharply down, has altered roofline with C20 windows to two dormers, plate glass sash windows, those to first floor with lowered sills. No.3 has two C20 dormers, six/six-pane sash windows to second floor, plate glass sash windows with sunblind boxes to first and ground floors and five-panel door. No.4 has wide C19 or C20 dormer with four eight/eight-pane sash windows, two/two-pane sashes to second floor, plate glass sashes to first and ground floor, first floor sill band and five-panel door. No.5 has large C20 dormer, splayed reveals to six/six-pane sash windows, horned to first and ground floors, balconettes to first floor and five-panel door. Nos 6,7 and 8 appear to have been rebuilt, they have six/six-pane sash windows, No.8 has balconettes to first floor. No.9 left terminal, has C20 roof and attic to front range, six/six-pane sash windows to second floor left, plate glass sashes to rest, first floor sill band and cast iron balcony to left of first floor. To right c1840 enclosed porch with engaged Tuscan columns supporting entablature that steps forward over five-panel door with studs surrounding four bolection moulded panels and glazed horizontal top panel. Five storey left return (attic storey, second, first, ground and lower ground floor) has c1840 semicircular plan wing to left with stone bracketed eaves and good cast iron balconies to first and ground floor. INTERIORS: Not inspected. HISTORY: William Beckford occupied No.20 Lansdown Crescent and No.1 Lansdown Place West and built the bridge between them in c1830 (see entry for Lansdown Crescent archway), but sold the house again in 1832. The bridge and other alterations to No.1 were probably done by HE Goodridge.

Listing NGR: ST7452166019

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509503

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing