7, ARGYLE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1394148
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
7, ARGYLE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394148.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 22:30:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
7, ARGYLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 75259 65005

Details

ARGYLE STREET (North side)

No. 7 (Formerly Listed as: ARGYLE STREET (North side) Nos. 1-7 (Consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

Shop, now restaurant, with accommodation over. c1789 with early C19 and C20 alterations. By Thomas Baldwin. MATERIALS: Bath limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: Double depth plan on wedge shaped site. EXTERIOR: No. 7 matches No. 6, flanking the slightly recessed Goodridge front of the Argyle Congregational Chapel, making a balanced overall composition of nine bays, three:three:three, of similar character to the original wholly Baldwin design except that the centre was then further recessed. three storeys, attic and basement, three bays to Argyle Street, one to Laura Place. Projecting timber shop front with fluted Corinthian columns at either corner, stall-riser, plate glass windows and central door. This is a mid C19 shop front very like that to No. 6 (qv), altered later. First floor has sill band, sashes with plain reveals, six/six, the right hand one is blind. Pompeian scroll above. Second floor windows as first. Band, modillion cornice parapet, mansard roof with flat topped dormer, stone stack with pots. Return elevation to Laura Place of one bay. Giant fluted Corinthian order over rusticated basement, six/six sashes. No.7 has a return elevation flanking the south elevation of Pulteney Bridge. Rubble, with windows of various sizes and dates, one arch-headed six/six sash. Three vent pipes at ground floor level are a poor visual feature. INTERIOR: Not inspected. HISTORY: Argyle Street, first Argyle Buildings, was the extension of the line of Adam's Pulteney Bridge (qv) into Sir William Pulteney's Bathwick estate. The estate passed to his daughter Henrietta Laura in 1792, but building work had already begun on Laura Place in 1788. This terrace, with its southern opposite number, forms a monumental extension northwards from Robert Adam¿s Pulteney Bridge.

Listing NGR: ST7525965005

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509544
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].