OBELISK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1394210
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
OBELISK, ORANGE GROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OBELISK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394210.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 14:26:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
OBELISK, ORANGE GROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 75184 64797

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 14/04/2020

656-1/541/1158

ORANGE GROVE

Obelisk

12/06/50

GV

II*

Obelisk. 1734. By Mr Borlase, mason, at the expense of Richard 'Beau' Nash.

DESCRIPTION: Limestone ashlar plinth with moulded base and cornice, diminishing shaft. The whole stands 30' high.

HISTORY: The plinth has a relief coat of arms, date of erection and Latin inscription about its erection by 'Beau' Nash to commemorate the visit and successful cure for the Prince of Orange in 1734. This feature, which cost £8-2-7 1/2d, also acted as “no small Recommendation to the Building Material of the Hills of Bath for such sort of ornaments” (Wood). The culmination of improvements to Orange Grove begun with Council minutes of 28 December 1730: “Pallisades and Pillars between the Upper and Lower Walks to be taken down at the charge of this City, the ground sloped and the walks repaired and made handsome and fit for people to walk there.”

Following the end of the Second World War, the space around the obelisk on Orange Grove was redesigned as a small piece of civic landscaping to honour Bath's twinning with the Dutch city of Alkmaar, and named the ‘Alkmaar Garden’. The two cities had become ‘adopted sisters’ in March 1945, apparently with the approval of the exiled Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, and the ‘Alkmaar Adoption Appeal’ by the people of Bath saw 45,000 articles of clothing shipped to Alkmaar prior to its liberation from Nazi occupation. A highly unusual fundraising effort at this time, it was inspired by an Alkmaar evacuee, Elias Prins, who settled in Bath following his escape to Britain in 1940. Prins served as an ARP Warden during the bombing of the city in 1942 and remained in Bath after the war to raise his family.

Days after Alkmaar was liberated, Victory in Europe (VE) Day was declared a national holiday in Britain. It marked the end of nearly six years of war and the hardships and sacrifices that had brought. Millions of people marked the victory as communities came together in street parties, parades and thanksgiving services. The bond of friendship between the two cities was reaffirmed when in 1946 Alkmaar gave 5,000 tulip bulbs to be planted in the Alkmaar Garden. The cities became formally twinned later in the C20 and in 2017 Alkmaar gave Bath a new gift of 5,000 tulip bulbs. Listing NGR: ST7518464797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509610
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fawcett, T, Inskip, M, The Making of Orange Grove, (1994), 24-50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top