LINLEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1394377

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: LINLEY HOUSE, 1, PIERREPONT PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LINLEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:31:09.

Location

Statutory Address: LINLEY HOUSE, 1, PIERREPONT PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 75217 64645

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PIERREPONT PLACE 656-1/41/1251 No.1 Linley House (Formerly Listed as: PIERREPONT PLACE No.1) 12/06/50

GV II*

House, now offices. c1730. Possibly John Wood the Elder, but see below. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, rendered and painted on ground floor, dentil cornice, parapet, roof not visible from street, but pantile at rear. PLAN: Single depth with projecting rear wing built together with No.12 Pierrepont Street(qv). EXTERIOR: Three storeys and basement, presumably dormers and attics, but not visible, except at rear. Narrow three window frontage, all windows six/six-sashes with thicker glazing bars of mid C18, all with rendered architraves. Smaller window to left of front door, fixed, two x four. Grand doorway with six-panel door, Ionic pilaster surround capped by pine cones. Rear elevation rubble, single eight/eight-sash to each floor, modern steel three light casement in attic mansard. INTERIOR: Among the most richly appointed interiors to survive from the pre-Wood era. Staircase has long straight flight up side wall, cut string, three turned balusters with knops to each tread, mahogany rail. `The drawing room (or music room, at the front of the first floor) ceiling is surrounded by an enriched modillioned cornice, and adorned with large scale decorations modelled in bas-relief. Scallop shells and foliage scrolls are enclosed within the L-shaped corner panels, between which are foliated cartouches, while the oval central panel is plain apart from the boss of cloud from which the chandelier is suspended' (Ison). This room also has a modillion cornice, shell-headed recesses with masks, and a Regency fireplace. There is also an elaborate two-stage chimneypiece with a broken pedimented superstructure flanked by further shell-headed niches (Mowbray Green photos in the National Monuments Record). The elaborate decoration is found throughout the main floors. HISTORY: This house, standing on the Duke of Kingston┬┐s estate, looks to date from just before the main Parades development of John Wood the Elder (1740-1748), and the documentation is unclear as to whether he designed it. It seems significantly different in design from his known streets, as do the adjoining houses (qqv). Subsequently the home of Dr Thomas Linley, musician and director of music at the Assembly Rooms, and his daughter the beautiful singer Elizabeth Anne Linley, who eloped from this house with Richard Brinsley Sheridan in 1772. It was the Eye Infirmary from 1833-1846.

Listing NGR: ST7521764645

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509783

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing