7-13 PIERREPONT STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1394385

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 7-13, PIERREPONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7-13 PIERREPONT STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:10:54.

Location

Statutory Address: 7-13, PIERREPONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: ST7523064631

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

656-1/41/1256

PIERREPONT STREET (West side) 7-13 Pierrepont Street (Consec)

(Formerly Listed as: PIERREPONT STREET (West side) Nos 7-17 (consec) & St James's Portico & No.6 Pierrepont Place)

12/06/50

II*

Houses, now in mixed use. 1740-1745. By John Wood the Elder, who describes "a row of fifth-rate houses of the grander sort".

MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, painted ground floors to Nos 10-13, rusticated to No.10, with Welsh slate roofs.

PLAN: Double depth plan with some rear extensions.

STYLE: Palladian style.

EXTERIOR: Terrace of similar houses, three storeys and three windows. No.11, which has two windows. No.13, which has four windows (see St James's Portico qv). Terrace, left hand end of unbalanced row Nos 7-17, with No.6 North Parade (qv) making twenty:three:twelve:three bays to Pierrepont Street, of which item first twenty-bays. Three storeys, attics and basements. Platband at first floor level. All windows are sashes, Nos 7-9 and 12 have all plate glass plain late C19 sashes. Nos 10 and 11 have six/six except on ground floor. No.13 has all six/six. Cornice heads to first floor windows of Nos 10, 12 and 13. First floor wrought iron balconettes to Nos 8, 10 and 11. No.7 has two/two-sashes on second floor. Nos 7 and 13 have pedimented doorcase with Doric pilasters. Nos 8-10 and 12 have pediments on console brackets. No.11 has recessed doorway in arched head. Wrought iron area railings. Nos 12 and 13 each have two six/six basement sashes, those to No.12 are original, others are Victorian and later replacements. Modillion cornice, parapet, mansard roofs, each with two flat topped dormers except Nos 10 and 12 which have one larger gabled. Ashlar stacks with most pots except No.7. Rear elevations have some extensions and windows of different periods. No.13 has four windows facing onto Pierrepont Place, all six/six sashes.

INTERIORS: Not inspected.

HISTORY: A part of the uncompleted John Wood scheme for the Duke of Kingston's estate on the former Abbey Orchard, 1740-1748, creating a formal link from North to South Parade, parallel with Duke St, which was to have led out to Wood's epic-scaled (and never realised) plan for a 'Royal Forum' to the south-east of the old city walls. The houses have undergone some alteration but remain an integral part of a major scheme of urban improvement.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 September 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509792

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 910
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bath, (1980), 138 and 228
Mowl, T, Earnshaw, B, John Wood Architect of Obsession, (1988), 135-147

End of official listing